Avanza (Advance) at FDU
Fairleigh Dickinson University’s Avanza Program for bilingual Latino high school students offers intensive ESL classes and academic courses, including in history, math, and science, partnering with New Jersey school districts to improve student success rates.
With the goal of helping students in grades 9-12 graduate high school, Avanza assists Latino students in fulfilling high school requirements, earning college credits, and learning academic English while opening pathways to higher education and preparing them for college life. Parents are included in the every step of their process, working as a partner with FDU in ensuring their child’s success.
As of the 2019-20 academic year, Avanza enrolls approximately 100 students total from the Englewood, Passaic and Paterson school districts.
- Fulfill high school course requirements with bilingual education
- Experience university life and earn up to 24 college credits
- Work with bilingual faculty and staff who are experienced with cultural barriers in education
- Attend dedicated workshops, peer mentorship activities and parent-teacher conferences
- Receive a customized plan and academic program for each student
- Incur no out-of-pocket expenses, with transportation and books covered fully
- Benefit from course schedules that mirror school district hours and academic calendars
FDU is a member of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities.
Courses offered through Avanza are diverse covering many topic areas. Each student ultimately receives a customized course plan. Courses offered include:
- ESL (mandatory)
- U.S. History 1
- U.S. History 2
- World History
- Environmental Science
- Integrated Science
- Spanish Literature
- Algebra 1
- Algebra 2