New Student FAQs

Placement assessment and basic skills courses

I placed into a developmental course. Can I retake the placement assessment?

English and/or Reading:

During the first class meeting of Introduction to Composition I (ENWR 1000) and Fundamentals of College Reading I (READ 0097), a second and different assessment is given. If you place into a different level, you will be notified by your instructor and will need to adjust your schedule by meeting with your academic advisor.


The Math challenge is offered to entering students that place into any level of math. The challenge will be administered prior to the start of the semester on specific scheduled dates. Sign up today by visiting Metro Math Challenge.

Does a developmental course count towards my credits?

These classes count towards your full time status and in terms of financial aid for the semester, but do not fulfill graduation requirements. However, these classes are designed to strengthen your skills so that you can be more successful in college level courses. If you place into a developmental course, you are required to take the course and pass it in order to continue onto the next college level course.

Your semester schedule

During orientation I completed a Schedule Planning Guide (SPG) asking me about my preferences for courses. Why aren’t some of those courses on my schedule?

When registering students for courses, noted preferences are always taken into consideration. However, they can not always be guaranteed due to several reasons: course availability, curriculum requirements and placement assessment results.

I have AP credits and/or Middle College credits. How do I get credit for those courses?

The University does not receive Advanced Placement (AP) scores until the middle of July. If you do not receive notification that your scores have been received by August 1st, please contact Coleen Curtis at or by telephone at 201-692-2732 to ensure your scores have been received. If you receive AP credits, please contact your academic department or the Advisement Center to make sure your fall semester schedule is correct. 

If you have questions regarding your Middle College credits, please contact Jordan Mitchell, Senior Program Director of the Middle College Program at 201-692-6504 or via email at

I have a course on my schedule called “SOS exams”. What are SOS exams?

Selected math, sciences, and engineering technology courses may require the participation in the Support Our Students (SOS) program. The SOS program is designed to provide additional support and to enhance all students’ academic success.

What is “Transitioning to University Life?”

Transitioning to University Life is a 1 credit course required for graduation by all students. This course helps students make a successful transition from high school to college. It provides entering students with a learning experience that supports them during their first semester at FDU.

Do I have to take a Foreign Language?

Certain majors may require a Language course depending on the score on your placement test and/or response to certain questions on your Schedule Planning Guide.

I am interested in the QUEST Teacher Preparation program. Can I take an Education course my first semester?

Students already accepted into the QUEST program will be registered for EDUC1108 Seminar in Professional Practice I: The Teacher’s Role in School and community (3 credits). Students who place into developmental courses may be required to delay entrance into QUEST until completing developmental courses. If you are interested in QUEST but have not yet spoken to the QUEST Coordinator, please contact Dr. Kathryn Spence at 201-692-2863 or through email at

Engineering majors

I took the placement assessment for math and placed into MATH 1105: College Algebra. Does that class count towards graduation?

College Algebra is considered to be a lower math than Pre-calculus and therefore will not carry credit toward graduation and will be considered excess credit.

Why am I not registered for General Physics I if it is part of my requirements?

If you place in Pre-calculus or higher as determined by the placement assessment, you will be registered for General Physics I and its lab. If you placed below Pre-calculus, you will be registered for an alternate required course.

My schedule does not show any Engineering courses. Why?

If you placed in College Algebra or higher as determined by the placement assessment, you will be registered for ENGR 1301: Engineering Practices, Graphics, and Designs. If you placed below College Algebra (i.e. Algebra Skills or Computation and Algebra skills), you will be registered for an alternate required course.

School of Natural Science majors

I thought I needed to take CHEM 1201: General Chemistry I in my first semester. Why aren’t I registered for it?

In order to take General Chemistry I, you must have a math score outlined by the School of Natural Sciences. If you did not receive the minimum score on your math placement assessment, you will be registered for an alternate course in place of General Chemistry I.

Students interested in the nursing major

Students who desire Nursing as their major must be accepted into the program. If you are not initially accepted into the program via your entrance into FDU through Admissions, your acceptance is then based on completing prerequisites along with attaining certain grades and GPA.

It is necessary for the student who desires entrance into the Nursing program to directly contact the School of Nursing regarding specific entrance requirements. Please contact the School of Nursing at 201-692-2880.