Campus Updates

FDU Vancouver Campus COVID Safety Plans

September 8th, 2020; Updated October 1st, 2020

A message from Campus Executive, Dr. Wilfred Zerbe

As we begin the Fall semester the health and safety of our students, instructors and staff is paramount, particularly as we increase limited use of our 842 Cambie Street location.  We have implemented a number of plans to guide this, including a COVID-19 Return to Campus Safely Plan, that closely follows the recommended considerations for preparedness from the COVID-19, Go-Forward Guidelines for B.C.’s Post-Secondary Sector produced by B.C. Post-Secondary Institutions with the support of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training.   We have also developed a COVID-19 Safety Plan following the WorksafeBC guidelines for returning to a safe and healthy workplace environment for all our faculty and staff, and a COVID -19 Outbreak Response Plan should FDU become aware of any confirmed, probable or suspect cases of COVID-19 while on campus.  We strongly recommend that you review each plan.

In addition, I wish to draw your attention to the following key points:

  • While the campus is open for instructors and staff between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm, we continue to encourage faculty and staff to work from home where appropriate.
  • You should not come to campus if you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 or have been in contact with a possible positive case.
  • Students are only permitted on campus in order to attend required classes and only during those time and only in the assigned classroom or to attend prearranged meetings.  In general, virtual meetings are preferred.
  • Each time you enter campus you are required to sign-in, using your smartphone and the QR codes that are posted.  Please sanitize your hands on entry.
  • You are required to wear a mask on campus, except when in your office or otherwise maintaining physical distance, such as in a classroom where students are seated and socially distanced.
  • For in-person classes, strict occupancy limits have been set for each classroom and seating has been arranged to maintain minimum distance between occupants.
  • We are providing a disinfectant spray and paper towel set at each teaching station so that instructors can sanitize their working space before class begins. Similarly, we are providing a separate disinfectant spray and paper towel set in each classroom so that students can sanitize their desktop before class begins. 
  • Please observe the required classroom entrances and exits, and the hallway traffic flow directions. Please also observe the parts of campus that are closed to use.
  • Additional multiple daily cleaning of high touch areas has been scheduled. 
  • Your support in encouraging others to follow these expectations would also be appreciated.

If you have any questions that are not answered in the attached plan, please do not hesitate to reach out to myself, David O’Reilly, or Gillian Hartinger.

Thank you for your support for each other.

All the best,

Wilfred Zerbe, Ph.D.

Campus Executive

Fairleigh Dickinson University

Vancouver Campus


FDU Travel and Self-Isolation Guide

September 28, 2020

Due to the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Canadian government has imposed restrictions that limit travel to and from Canada and has implemented an Emergency Order under the Quarantine Act that requires travelers entering Canada to quarantine for 14 days to manage the spread of COVID-19.

FDU Vancouver has created a Travel and Self-Isolation Guide to provide you with the information you need to prepare for travel to Canada and to succeed during your 14-day self-isolation, including where you will stay and how you will meet your needs while quarantining. 

Quarantine is mandatory, even if you do not have any symptoms.  Travelers without a quarantine plan can face severe penalties including fines, jail time, or inadmissibility to Canada. 

Please continue to consult the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website for up to date information.


Start your studies with FDU from your home country!

July 20, 2020

Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) prides itself on preparing students to become world citizens through global education. The University offers high-quality global learning opportunities and values diversity as an academic strength. The Vancouver Campus is a diverse community of learners from around the world who enjoy small class sizes and personalized support.   

Because Fall 2020 courses will be delivered both on campus and through remote learning, FDU is creating the opportunity for you to begin your studies from your home country and then to complete your degree either online or by traveling to Vancouver once travel restrictions are lifted.  

For FDU Vancouver, “remote learning” means live, at-the-same-time instruction using video-conferencing software (Zoom) to provide a highly interactive, participative learning experience.  

We have been delivering our courses through remote learning for the summer term and will continue to do so in Fall 2020.

For Fall 2020, first-semester courses in all programs at the FDU Vancouver Campus will be delivered in two ways:  (1) on campus, providing new students with the option to travel to Canada to pursue their studies, and (2) through remote learning, for students who are not able to travel to Vancouver or who prefer that option.    

If you have received a Letter of Acceptance from FDU Vancouver you can register for and complete your first semester of classes even if you do not yet have a study permit or cannot travel to Vancouver to begin your studies. 

During your first semester, and while you are completing courses through remote learning, you can continue the process of applying for a study permit and then, if successful, and if travel restrictions allow, travel to Vancouver to continue your studies in person. 

The time you spend studying in Canada after you arrive, or the time you spend studying from outside of Canada (provided you have a study permit before September 7th), will count toward a Canadian Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).  

If you do not receive a Canadian study permit, you can continue your studies online through FDU if you are applying to the Master of Administrative Science, Master of Hospitality Management Studies, or Bachelor of Arts in Individualized Studies.

Information on all online degree options provided by FDU is available here:


* This is based on Canadian immigration policy as of July 1, 2020 and is subject to change.  Students are responsible for complying with immigration regulations.

** The length of your degree program will affect the length of the PGWP. Students may need to take additional courses to be eligible for up to a 3-year PGWP.

Frequently Asked Questions 

How do I let you know that I want to start my studies from my home country?

We will contact accepted students with a survey and further information so you can let us know about your study plans!

When do classes start? 

Classes for the Fall 2020 semester begin on September 8th for undergraduate students and on September 14th for graduate students.  Spring 2021 semester undergraduate classes begin on January 18th and graduate classes begin on January 25th.  Students must attend orientation, which takes place one week prior to the first class.

What should I do if I am planning to travel to Vancouver?

You are responsible for ensuring that you meet all government and airline travel requirements.  At the moment, travelers to Canada are required to self-isolate for 14 days and you will be required to show how you plan to do this.

What happens if my visa is denied? Can I continue taking my courses? 

Yes, if you have been accepted to the Master of Administrative Science, Master of Hospitality Management Studies, or Bachelor of Arts in Individualized Studies programs. You can continue your courses online through FDU.  More information is available at

What happens if I get my visa but can’t travel? 

If you are not able to travel you can continue your studies online.  All FDU courses are transferable between campuses. 

What happens if I do not get my study permit before January 2021? 

If you do not receive a study permit before January 2021, you can re-apply for a study permit for later semesters or you can continue your studies online through FDU if you are applying to the Master of Administrative Science, Master of Hospitality Management Studies,  or Bachelor of Arts in Individualized Studies. Currently, the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Bachelor of Science in Information Technology cannot be completed online.

Information on all online degree options provided by FDU is available here:

Can I travel to Canada in the middle of the course if travel restrictions are lifted? Can I switch to face-to-face courses in the middle of the term? 

Students are welcome to come to Vancouver as soon as they can; however, it may be more cost-effective to wait until the end of the term. Students are encouraged to complete their courses in the mode of instruction they started with.

What will my remote classes be like?  

For FDU Vancouver, “remote learning” means live, at-the-same-time instructions using video-conferencing software (Zoom) to provide a highly interactive, participative learning experience.  

I want to take a remote learning course from my home country but I am not sure my internet is fast enough. Can I try it and see if it works?  

If you can have a Zoom video conversation with a friend in another city, you should be fine.  Try it!

You can test your Zoom connection here:

My country is in a different time zone than Canada. Does it mean that my courses will be delivered during my night time? 

FDU courses are delivered synchronously, which means that you must be online at a scheduled time. However, we do our best to schedule courses at times convenient for students in the Middle East and Asia.

Do I need to buy any special equipment if I want to take remote learning courses? 

You should have access to a computer (desktop or laptop) with a video camera, or the equivalent, and internet access.

I am not sure my computer skills are sufficient to take on a remote learning class. Will I get any help? 

Yes! FDU Vancouver provides students access to online tutors so that students are fully supported throughout the term. We also run a variety of interactive workshops that support students’ computer and academic preparation skills.

I am not sure my English is good enough to take a remote learning course. Will I get any additional support? 

Yes! FDU Vancouver provides students access to writing centre support and online tutors so that students are fully supported throughout the term. We also run a variety of interactive workshops that support students’ English writing and academic preparation skills.

What are FDUV’s language requirements?

All new FDU Vancouver students are required to take the FDU English Placement Test before beginning their studies.

How do I complete my FDU English Placement Test?

We offer you an opportunity to take this test remotely from your home country! If your test results indicate that you are required to take Pre-University of Pre-Master’s English classes, you can begin taking these classes in remote learning mode even if you cannot travel to Canada. Please note that these classes are pre-requisites to the regular courses required for your graduation and are offered at a flat reduced rate. This is a great chance to upgrade your English skills and start preparing for the success in your programs during the time when you cannot yet travel to Canada.

Or you can complete your language test on arrival in Vancouver.  

More information on Pre-University and Pre-Masters English courses:

Under what circumstances am I eligible for a refund? 

New Fall 2020 students are eligible for a full refund in the event of visa rejection and prior to registering for courses. If you decide to start the Fall 2020 term from home while trying to reapply for a visa or waiting for one, you will have until September 21, 2020 to drop the courses without penalty. In these cases, the university will refund the full deposit minus a non-refundable fee of $316.

Our standard refund policy will apply for students who decide to continue their studies as of the third week of the fall term. For more information on our refund policy and penalties, please visit our website:

How will my eligibility for the Canadian Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) program be affected by studying from overseas rather than in Canada?

The Canadian Government has made temporary changes to the PGWPP for students who start or continue their studies outside of Canada in 2020.  Time spent studying outside of Canada (until December 31, 2020), will count towards PGWP eligibility and length of the PGWP issued, provided that the student completes at least 50% of their program in Canada, meets all the other program criteria, and has a study permit or study permit approval prior to commencing their program.

Can I start my studying from my home country in Spring 2021 rather than Fall 2020? 

Right now, the opportunity to take FDU Vancouver courses through remote learning is only available for Fall 2020.  We hope that by Spring 2021 we will be back in a full face to face mode and to be able to welcome you to Vancouver!

Summer 2020 Admissions Update

April 15, 2020

FAQ for future students.

Thank you for your interest in being a student on the Vancouver campus of Fairleigh Dickinson University. We pride ourselves on the quality of our programs, the personal support we provide and we hope to be welcoming you to our campus in the near future. 

The following are commonly asked questions about how we are responding to the challenges created by the COVID-19 virus and to help you with your planning.

FDU Vancouver is accepting new students for Summer 2020.  We will be providing online registration and orientation and delivering courses through remote learning.

What do I need to be able to begin my studies in Summer 2020?

You need to have received a letter of acceptance from FDU Vancouver, paid your deposit, and have either a letter of introduction or already have a valid visa that would normally allow you to travel to Canada and obtain a study permit.  Because of travel restrictions, we are allowing students to begin their studies from outside Canada.

What if I am already in Canada with a study permit?

Awesome!  Please contact and we will get you going for summer enrolment!

Can I complete my degree through remote learning?

No. Students who begin their program of studies through remote learning will complete their coursework in Vancouver when the remote learning period ends and will be expected to travel to Vancouver. The remote learning period is temporary to provide for social distancing due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

How is FDU Vancouver helping new students begin their studies?

We are endeavoring to be as flexible as we can to accommodate this unique and challenging situation, even as we do our best to maintain the integrity of our admissions and registration policies and practices. For example, we are being more flexible about deferring program start dates. 

What will I need to be able to begin my studies from outside Canada?

Summer 2020 courses at Fairleigh Dickinson University Vancouver will be delivered by “remote learning”.  While students and instructors will not meet face to face, classes are designed to be engaging, interactive, and to encourage participation.  

Classes will be scheduled for a specific time and students will participate in video conferencing, online presentations, and discussions with their instructor and their classmates. 

You will need access to a computer, access to the internet, and be able to take classes at the time they are offered in Vancouver time.

When will the Summer 2020 semester start?

The summer semester on the FDU-Vancouver campus will begin with New Student Orientation on May 19, and classes will begin on May 25.

Can I defer the start of my studies?

Yes. If you are accepted for the next semester but are not able to enter Canada because of travel restrictions, we will be happy to defer your program start date to September 2020 or January 2021. Our team will provide you with an updated Letter of Acceptance required for your visa application.

What happens if my application for a visa is not successful?

As always, if you are not able to obtain a visa your deposit will be refunded. And as always, if you elect not to study at FDU any tuition that is prepaid will be refunded following the expiry of your letter of acceptance.

I am still in my home country and will be traveling to Canada to begin my studies. Am I able to enter Canada?

International students are exempt from air travel and border restrictions IF they hold a valid study permit, or hold written notice of approval (letter of introduction) for a study permit that was issued before12 pm EDT on March 18, 2020.  Students with written notice of approval issued after this date will not be able to travel to Canada until after the travel restrictions are lifted.

Travel advisories and exemptions are fluid at this time. Please consult the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website for up to date information:

What happens if I travel to Canada to begin my studies?

Please consult the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website for up to date information: At this time, travelers should expect to be required to have a plan to quarantine themselves for 14 days, including where they will stay and how they will meet their needs while confined.  Quarantine is mandatory, even for travelers without any symptoms.  Travelers without a quarantine plan can face severe penalties including fines, jail time, or inadmissibility to Canada.

To board a flight to Canada, travelers must tell the airline that they are exempt from the travel restrictions.  Travelers must bring a non-medical mask or face covering and wear it as directed by authorities.  They must show documents which establish they are travelling to Canada for an essential reason (e.g. study).  They must show a valid travel document (visitor visa or eTA) and a passport that is valid to fly to Canada.  Airline officials will do a health check to confirm travelers do not have symptoms of COVID-19, including a fever, cough, and difficulty breathing.

What if I am not able to travel? What happens to my deposit?

If you are not able to come to Vancouver to take up studies at FDU as a result of government ordered travel restrictions in your home country and chose not to defer the start of your studies to a later semester, your deposit will be refunded. Refund requests for the summer 2020 term must be received by October 14, 2020, at

I have received an offer of admission from FDU Vancouver, what do I do now?

You have 60 days to accept our offer and to send us your deposit. We look forward to welcoming you when you arrive.

How can I find accommodation in the Vancouver area?

Please visit FDU Vancouver’s Housing Page for a list of housing options. If you have any questions about student housing, please contact our Director of Student Services, Jobin Mojtabavi at

What should I be doing to protect myself from COVID-19?

Most importantly, we encourage you to follow the advice of public health professionals in your community regarding personal hygiene and social distancing. We want you to arrive at FDU Vancouver healthy and happy!

What if I have other questions?

We appreciate your patience and understanding, and we look forward to welcoming you to our campus! Please contact us at and we will assist you by e-mail or by other convenient online means.


Coronavirus Update

For current FDU Vancouver students, faculty and staff:

There has been a number of cases of COVID-19 in British Columbia, and these are being very closely managed. Please visit the BC Centre for Disease Control for more information and for information about signs and symptoms. Updates regarding the status of this disease can also be found on the following websites:

Health Canada

Vancouver Coastal Health

What should I do if I have concerns about my health?

Students, faculty, or staff who require immediate assistance should contact their health provider.

8-1-1 is free-of-charge provincial health information and advice phone line available in British Columbia. By calling 8-1-1, you can speak to a health service navigator, who can help you find health information and services; or connect you directly with a health professional.

FDU has moved to remote (online) learning. How can I get help with this?

For faculty and Students: Please refer to FDU’s resource guide for remote learning and scroll down to the appropriate section.

Additional resources for students:

Additional resources for instructors:

I am currently enrolled and my course is being delivered remotely. Can I return to my home country?

Yes. To the extent we reasonably can, we will support students who elect to return home.

However, you will be responsible for meeting all online course learning expectations. Some online learning technologies may not work from your home country. Time zone differences may affect your participation in synchronous class activities. It is also possible that country regulations may not permit online course delivery. For these reasons, we cannot promise that we can accommodate all online learning needs if you are out of Canada.

Travel restrictions are changing daily and could potentially affect your return to Canada for future studies. Please ensure that your study permit and your temporary resident visa (applies only to certain countries) will be valid for the foreseeable future. If your study permit expires within the next 6 months, please contact Fernanda Barros in Student Services at

If you intend to return home, please inform your academic advisor, and send an email to Enrollment Services at It is essential that we have this information.

Can I travel for personal reasons?

If you are a student, faculty member, or staff located on our Vancouver Campus and are planning on traveling for personal reasons, please take necessary precautions and ensure that you abide by travel advisories posted on the government of Canada website. Please be aware of the restrictions that are in place for all travelers.

I am a faculty member or staff member. Can I travel for university purposes?

Travel for University purposes requires the approval of the Vancouver Campus Executive and will follow the FDU policy.

Will FDU Vancouver courses continue to be delivered remotely?

FDU Vancouver classes will continue to be delivered by remote learning until the University, on the advice of public health authorities, returns to face to face teaching. FDU Vancouver summer semester classes will begin on May 25 for currently enrolled returning students.