Fairleigh Dickinson University wishes a Happy Veterans Day to all who have served in the United States military and thanks them for their service.
Check out the video above and some highlights below featuring FDU’s Student Veteran Association and Office of Veterans Services during the Fall 2020 semester.
Painting Reuter’s Rock
As part of an annual tradition, members of FDU SVA and Veterans Services staff came together to paint a Veterans Day mural on FDU’s iconic Reuter’s Rock on the Florham Campus.
The FDU Student Veteran Association participated in the Army Ten Miler race which was held virtually on Sunday, Oct. 11. All race proceeds benefit Army Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation programs. FDU’s team was comprised of:
- Chris Putnam, Marine veteran, SVA president, junior criminal justice major
- Desiree Cruz, dependent, SVA treasurer, senior health studies major
- Joseph Cerciello, Marine veteran, SVA vice president, sophomore biochemistry major
- Faith Sands, Army spouse
- Martha Papson Garcia, Army veteran, director of FDU Veterans Services, Blue Star Mom
- Nicole Schultheis, Army veteran
- Luke Schultheis, honorary commander of Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, FDU vice president for enrollment, planning and effectiveness
Patriotic Art Contest
During the Fall 2020 semester, FDU SVA ran a patriotic art contest in which students were asked to create art based on one of two prompts:
1. “This will remain the land of the free so long as it is the home of the brave.” – Elmer Davis
2. “From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots.” – Thomas Jefferson
The contest provided a $250 scholarship to the winning artists. Check out some more of the amazing submissions created by our graphic design students here: http://fdudesign.com/patriot/index.html
Skydiving with the Army Golden Knights
Director of Veterans Services Martha Papson Garcia and Vice President for Enrollment, Planning and Effectiveness Luke Schultheis went skydiving with the U.S. Army Mid-Atlantic parachute team, the Golden Knights, as part of the Community Partners Program. Check out their experience with the video below!
Navy veteran Dillon Pontes is a computer science major at FDU and a veteran student ambassador for the Office of Veterans Services.
Did you know Pontes also wrote and illustrated a children’s book called “She Wore a Yellow Ribbon?” Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKZvBwR0b8s
Yellow Ribbon Program
FDU has been educating America’s veterans since 1946, and offers a variety of academic programs. FDU is a proud participant in the GI Bill® Yellow Ribbon Program, which allows a 100% eligible veteran to attend an FDU undergraduate, graduate, or certificate program at no cost.
Learn more about Veterans Services at FDU here.