BS Biology DDM Dental Medicine (Metro)
Students accepted into this program will spend their first three years at FDU. The following four years will be spent at the Lecom School of Dental Medicine. Following the successful completion of the first year of study at RSDM the student will be awarded a B.S. degree by FDU.
Students who are in their fourth semester at FDU and who meet the application criteria may apply. Applicants must have had secondary school preparation in English, mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics. Please speak to the FDU preprofessional advisor for additional information on application criteria.
Following evaluation of applications by FDU and Lecom Admissions Office, the Joint Admissions Committee will decide which applicants to interview at FDU and Lecom. The interview at Lecom will be conducted by a member of the Lecom Admissions Committee. The final decision will be made by the Joint Admissions Committee following the review of the interviewers’ comments.
Admission to Lecom
Final admission into the New Jersey Dental School is dependent on satisfactory completion of the following:
- 98 credits as listed below at Department of Biological Sciences, Fairleigh Dickinson University
- A minimum grade point ratio of 3.50 and a minimum grade of “B” in each of the science courses required for admission to Lecom. There shall be no final grade of “D”, “F” or “I” in any course required for admission to Lecom, appearing on the student’s transcript
- A satisfactory score on the Dental Aptitude Test must be submitted prior to admission to Lecom
- Recommendations from at least four FDU faculty members including the director of the School of Natural Sciences and the preprofessional adviser
- Students wishing to participate in the program must apply in writing to the pre professional adviser no later than completion of 60 credits at FDU
- Participation in any orientation programs required by Lecom
- Final entrance into the D.D.S. program is contingent on satisfactory performance in all six semesters at FDU.
NOTE: All students are required to complete the General Education Requirements of their campus in fulfillment of their Bachelor degree requirements. [Florham Campus students are required to take SPCH 1107 Fundamentals of Speech and PHIL1440 Bio-Medical Ethics as part of their general education requirements]
Semesters 1 and 2
- BIOL1221, BIOL1222 Biological Diversity and Laboratory
- BIOL1223 Biological Diversity Recitation
- BIOL1233, BIOL1234 Introduction to Molecules, Cells and Genes and Laboratory
- BIOL1235 Molecules, Cells & Genes Recitation
Semester 3 and 4
- BIOL2200, BIOL2201 Ecology & Field Biology and Laboratory (or)
- MBIO2209, MBIO2219 Introduction to Marine Biology and Laboratory
- BIOL2300 Experimental Design
- BIOL3050, BIOL3051 Molecular Cell Biology & Laboratory
Semesters 5 and 6
- BIOL3100, BIOL3101 Genetics and Laboratory
- BIOL3225/BIOL3226 General Microbiology and Laboratory
- BIOL3238/BIOL3239 Human Structure & Function I and Laboratory
- BIOL4405 Ethics in Science
- BIOL4950 Biology Seminar
Semesters 7 and 8
- Approved credits taken at professional school (29 credits)
Semesters 1 and 2
- CHEM1201, CHEM1203 General Chemistry I and Laboratory
- CHEM1202, CHEM1204 General Chemistry II and Laboratory
Semesters 3 and 4
- CHEM2261, CHEM2263 Organic Chemistry I and Laboratory
- CHEM2262, CHEM2264 Organic Chemistry II and Laboratory
Semesters 5 and 6
- PHYS2203 / PHYS2201 University Physics I Lecture and Laboratory
- PHYS2204 / PHYS2202 University Physics II Lecture and Laboratory
- CHEM3281 Biochemistry I
- The Program is designed for students who are accepted into professional school (e.g., School of Medicine, Dentistry, Chiropractic, and Optometry) after three years of undergraduate study. Twenty-nine credits earned during the first year of professional school are used to supplement the 95 credits earned at FDU to complete the 124 credits required for the BS degree.
A minimum of 124 credits is required for graduation with BS Biology.