Rankings and Distinctions
Fairleigh Dickinson University is proud of the many recognitions it earns on a regular basis. Below are a few recent highlights.
- Fairleigh Dickinson University is ranked among the best regional universities and in the Top 50 in the North region by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges 2021. The University was also ranked by U.S. News number 16 in Best Value Schools. In addition, the University’s undergraduate programs in business and engineering were named among the top in the nation. The University was ranked number 23 among regional universities in the North for veterans and among the top performers for social mobility.
- Fairleigh Dickinson University is ranked among “America’s Best Colleges” by Forbes magazine (2019).
- FDU is listed among the top U.S. colleges in the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education rankings (2020).
- The University is ranked among the top regional universities in the northern United States (number 21) by the independent college search and rankings website College Choice (2016).
- Fairleigh Dickinson University was named among “The Best Colleges For Your Money 2019″ by Money magazine, which earlier ranked FDU number 5 in the nation for “The 50 Colleges That Add the Most Value” list (2017). FDU was also named by Money among the Best Colleges in America (2020).
"Fairleigh Dickinson University among 'The Best Colleges in America 2020'"
— Money magazine
- FDU’s New Jersey campuses were both named “hidden gems” by the college planning website College Raptor. (2019)
- Silberman College of Business is ranked among “The Best Business Schools” by Princeton Review (2020).
- FDU’s International School of Hospitality, Sports, and Tourism Management is ranked by CEOWORLD magazine eighth in its annual university rankings of the Best Hospitality and Hotel Management Schools in the world (2021). The school also is ranked number six on TheBestSchools.org list of the nation’s top hospitality programs (2019) and was named one of the top programs in the country by College Rank (2020). It also was recently rated by the Princeton Review’s “Gourman Report” as one of the top 15 four-year hospitality management programs in the United States.
- The International School of Hospitality, Sports, and Tourism Management is a member of Hotel Schools of Distinction (HSD). HSD is an international non-profit organization based in the United States of America that accredits very high-quality hospitality schools and programs by measuring student learning outcomes against professional standards. Students graduating from HSD schools are awarded the HSD Visual Transcript ™. This provides employers with concrete information about the relevant talent and competencies these graduates bring to their employers.
- Fairleigh Dickinson University earned several top spots in the 2021 PLEXUSS Global Rankings. Undergraduate programs in theater arts and creative writing were ranked number one in New Jersey, while film and criminology were ranked second in the state. In addition, nursing was number three in New Jersey while electrical engineering and engineering were six and seven respectively (2021).
- Fairleigh Dickinson University’s graduate programs in nursing (master’s and DNP), part-time MBA, and public affairs are ranked among the best in the country by U.S. News & World Report’s Grad School Rankings (2021).
- According to the Equality of Opportunity Project report on the role of colleges in intergenerational mobility (2017), Fairleigh Dickinson University was ranked near the top among universities in the state and nation for helping students move from lower income brackets to the middle and upper class. In fact, 24 percent of students who graduate FDU move up by two or more income quintiles. FDU ranks 80th for mobility out of 578 selective private colleges nationwide.
- FDU’s Silberman College of Business is recognized as an “Excellent Business School” worldwide by Eduniversal survey (2019). (Note: There are five categories of rankings: Universal, Top, Excellent, Good and Local.) Eduniversal also has ranked FDU master’s degree programs among the best globally and in North America. These include the MS in electronic commerce, MS in accounting, MS in hospitality management studies, MBA, MBA in marketing, MBA in international business, MA in communication, Executive MBA and MS in supply chain management (2019).
- Best Value Schools ranked FDU one of the 25 Best PhD in Forensic Psychology Programs (2021).
- The Master of Health Science was ranked number 8 in the Top 15 Masters in Clinical Research Programs by Social Work Degree Guide (2019)
- Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education Magazine ranked FDU’s Metropolitan Campus among the top 100 American universities for Hispanics earning their first master’s degrees. The University was also ranked among the top 10 for those earning bachelor’s degrees in liberal arts and sciences and general studies and humanities (2016).
- FDU’s Henry P. Becton School of Nursing and Allied Health was ranked among the top U.S. nursing schools (number 62 in the Mid-Atlantic region) by Nursing Schools Almanac (2018). Also, Nursejournal.org named FDU the best nurse practitioner program in the state of New Jersey (2018).
- RNCareers.org ranked FDU’s nursing program number two in the state of New Jersey and number 72 nationwide. (2021)
- Learn.org named Fairleigh Dickinson University #21 for the 50 Best Computer Science Degrees (2020-2021).
- FDU is ranked number 12 on the GradReports list of the 25 Best Colleges for Criminology (2020).
- FDU’s MS in accounting program is ranked in the top 10 nationwide according to a survey of tax employers conducted by TaxTalent (2015).
- Master’s Programs Guide ranked FDU as one of the 10 Best Master’s Programs in Taxation (2020).
"FDU's Metropolitan Campus ranked among the top 100 American universities for Hispanics earning their first master's degrees. The University was also ranked among the top 10 for those earning bachelor's degrees in liberal arts and sciences and general studies and humanities (2016)."
— Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education Magazine
- OnStage Blog rated FDU’s BA in Theater Arts major as one of the best 25 programs in the country. (2018)
- The University was ranked number one in New Jersey for animation and number 18 on the East Coast by Animation Career Review (2018). That same organization ranked FDU Top 25 on the East Coast and Top 5 in New Jersey in its 2018 Game Design School Rankings, as well as Top 5 in New Jersey for graphic design in 2019.
- Intelligent.com ranked FDU among the Best Online Master’s in Electrical Engineering programs at number 16 in the country and Best in the Northeast (2021). In addition, OnlineMasters.com named FDU one of the Best Master’s in Electrical Engineering programs (2019) and Nonprofit Colleges Online ranked FDU’s program number three nationwide for programs offering the greatest value (2017).
- GreatValueColleges.net ranked FDU 19th on its list of the 30 Most Affordable Master’s in Forensic Psychology programs (2020).
- FDU’s School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences was named the number one small/medium sized company in New Jersey to work for among NJBIZ’s “Best Places to Work in New Jersey” (2017). The school also earned Platinum recognition from the American Heart Association as a “Fit-Friendly Worksite” (2014). The award recognizes employers who go above and beyond for their employees’ health.
- FDU was re-designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education through 2020 by the National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security.
- Cyberdegrees.org ranked FDU among the 17 best schools with online computer forensics programs (2018).
- BestColleges.com selected FDU as one of the Best Online Colleges in New Jersey (2018).
- FDU was rated the third best online college in New Jersey, according to Value Colleges (2017).
- Value Colleges, an independent online guide to the best values in undergraduate and graduate education, named FDU among Top 50 Best Pre-College Summer Programs (2021).
- The online master’s degree program in mathematics at the Metropolitan Campus was cited twice by SR Education Group in its Top and Most Affordable Online Colleges rankings — 14th in value, 17th in affordability. (2018)
- Graduates of FDU rank in the top 20 percent of earners among the nation’s colleges and universities, in a PayScale College Salary Report based on earnings after graduation, mid-career earnings and job satisfaction.