Fairleigh Dickinson University’s International School of Hospitality, Sports, and Tourism Management now offers a stand-alone Certificate in Hotel & Restaurant Franchising that is fully transferable to a Minor in Hotel & Restaurant Franchising.  According to FRANdata, there will be more than 26,000 new franchised businesses opening in 2021. The International School of Hospitality, Sports, and Tourism Management plans to offer the certificate for those interested in the entrepreneurial side of the Leisure and Hospitality sector. The fifteen (15) Credit Certificate was created in modules and is intended to be FLEXIBLE to accommodate busy work schedules and can be completed in one year. The Certificate/Minor will be offered on the Metropolitan and Florham campuses.

For more information contact:

Donald Hoover, dhoover@fdu.edu 609-432-7297

Dr. Iris Gersh, Gersh@fdu.edu 973-443-8271/973-443-8271

Program Objectives

Explain the importance of strong franchisor / franchisee relationship.

  • Examine the evolutionary process from a single unit to a multi-unit Franchisee and
    organization and items to take into account along the way.
  • Review items to consider in franchising a business and becoming a Franchisor.
  • Understand financial results and leverage industry specific unit economics and key
    performance indicators to evaluate the productivity and effectiveness of operations.
  • Review the Franchise Disclosure Document (FDD) and Franchise Agreement
  • Discuss advertising and marketing in a franchise environment.
  • Analyze unit economics and key performance indicators in order to evaluate the productivity and effectiveness of operations.

Required Courses

  • HRTM 2238 Franchising Principle 3
  • HRTM 3258 Franchise Finance 3
  • HRTM 3259 Operations 3
  • HRTM 4282 Franchising Capstone 3
  • HRTM xxxx Elective or Transfer credits

15 credits to complete the program

Admission Requirements

Transfer Students and Advanced Standing

Transfer students will have completed 24 or more college-credit hours at an accredited post-secondary institution. Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must be submitted. A high school transcript need not be submitted unless requested by the admissions office. Applicants with less than 24 credits earned are considered students with advanced standing, and must submit their official high school transcript and SAT or ACT test scores in addition to college transcripts.

Evaluation of Previous Academic Work

Students with an Associate in Arts (AA) or an Associate in Science (AS) Degree can transfer in a maximum of 64 credits. Students from other four-year institutions can transfer in up to 96 credits. Course work with earned grades of A through C will be considered for transfer credit. Any transfer student who has earned an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) at a New York or New Jersey community college, and is applying for a Bachelor of Arts program, is able to fulfill their General Education requirements at FDU. Some exceptions may apply.

Community College Transfer Students

FDU Policy Re Transfer Students and General Education Credits

All incoming students with a completed AA/AS degree from a community college in NJ/NY will arrive with all of their Gen Ed requirements fulfilled (including UNIV core) — with the exception of any specific courses and prerequisites required for any given Major or Minor.

Students arriving from any community college or four-year institution without an AA/AS degree will have their incoming credits applied course for course.

If a student from a four-year institution in NJ or NY has with them an AA/AS degree from that same institution, then they will be considered to have met the General Education requirements with the same caveat as applies to those coming from NJ/NY community colleges.

Students are responsible for making certain their transcripts are submitted in a timely manner so that they can be evaluated for full credit.

Fairleigh Dickinson University has articulation agreements with most New Jersey community colleges. Prospective community college transfer students are encouraged to contact the transfer counselor at their community college for more information or call the FDU Admissions Office at 800-338-8803. More information about transferring courses from a community college to a four-year college or university in New Jersey is also available at njtransfer.org.

Contact Information
Dr. Iris Gersh