Fairleigh Dickinson University’s International School of Hospitality, Sports, and Tourism Management now offers a stand-alone Certificate in Restaurant Entrepreneurship that is fully transferable to a Minor in Restaurant Entrepreneurship. The International School of Hospitality, Sports, and Tourism Management plans to offer the certificate for those interested in exploring the innovative experience regarding engaging venues, making deliberate choices aimed at growing a sustainable business, and preparing a business model of a proposed restaurant.  The International School of Hospitality, Sports, and Tourism Management plans to offer the certificate for those interested in the entrepreneurial side of the Leisure and Hospitality sector.   The fifteen (15) Credit Certificate was created in modules and is intended to be FLEXIBLE to accommodate busy work schedules and can be completed in one year. The Certificate/Minor is offered on the Metropolitan and Florham campuses. 

For more information contact:

Donald Hoover, dhoover@fdu.edu 609-432-7297

Dr. Iris Gersh, Gersh@fdu.edu 973-443-8271/973-443-8271

Program Objectives

The objective of this certificate/minor is to help aspiring restaurateurs, young chefs and culinary students to design and manage a profitable restaurant operation.  

  • Explore innovative experience driven concepts in engaging venues, supported by remarkable service and outstanding food.
  • Develop the appropriate culture and make deliberate choices aimed at growing a sustainable business.
  • Discuss how to think in entrepreneurial terms, avoid pitfalls, and negotiate the right contracts.
  • Prepare a business model of your proposed restaurant.

Required Courses

  • ENTR 3101 Small Business Management
  • ENTR 3160 Launching New Ventures
  • HRTM 3203 Developing Food Service Processes
  • HRTM 3256 Developing your restaurant’s team culture
  • HRTM 3000 Analyzing and Leveraging Food Trends

NOTE: 15 credits to complete the program

 Admission Requirements

Transfer Students and Advanced Standing

Transfer students will have completed 24 or more college-credit hours at an accredited post-secondary institution. Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must be submitted. A high school transcript need not be submitted unless requested by the admissions office. Applicants with less than 24 credits earned are considered students with advanced standing, and must submit their official high school transcript and SAT or ACT test scores in addition to college transcripts.

Evaluation of Previous Academic Work

Students with an Associate in Arts (AA) or an Associate in Science (AS) Degree can transfer in a maximum of 64 credits. Students from other four-year institutions can transfer in up to 96 credits. Course work with earned grades of A through C will be considered for transfer credit. Any transfer student who has earned an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) at a New York or New Jersey community college, and is applying for a Bachelor of Arts program, is able to fulfill their General Education requirements at FDU. Some exceptions may apply.

Community College Transfer Students

FDU Policy Re Transfer Students and General Education Credits

All incoming students with a completed AA/AS degree from a community college in NJ/NY will arrive with all of their Gen Ed requirements fulfilled (including UNIV core) — with the exception of any specific courses and prerequisites required for any given Major or Minor.

Students arriving from any community college or four-year institution without an AA/AS degree will have their incoming credits applied course for course.

If a student from a four-year institution in NJ or NY has with them an AA/AS degree from that same institution, then they will be considered to have met the General Education requirements with the same caveat as applies to those coming from NJ/NY community colleges.

Students are responsible for making certain their transcripts are submitted in a timely manner so that they can be evaluated for full credit.

Fairleigh Dickinson University has articulation agreements with most New Jersey community colleges. Prospective community college transfer students are encouraged to contact the transfer counselor at their community college for more information or call the FDU Admissions Office at 800-338-8803. More information about transferring courses from a community college to a four-year college or university in New Jersey is also available at njtransfer.org.

Contact Information
Dr. Iris Gersh

Course Descriptions