Resident Assistants (RAs) are the face of Housing & Residence Life at FDU. RAs plan community events, enforce university policies, and are tasked with helping the halls feel like home.
We invite you to learn more about the RA role by attending an information session and completing the application for your campus:
The RA application timeline is below, and please note that attendance at an information session is required for your application to be considered complete.
RA application opens: February 1, 2022
Florham Campus Information Sessions (times and location will be up provided in the emails when we start advertising for these meetings):
- February 4, 2022 8PM to 9:20PM, Sammartino Room
- February 7, 2022 1PM to 2:20PM, Twombly Lounge
- February 8, 2022 8PM to 9:20PM Twombly Lounge
- February 9, 2022 8PM to 9:20PM Twombly Lounge
- February 13, 2022 1PM to 2:20PM Twombly Lounge
- February 17, 2022 11AM to 12:15PM Twombly Lounge
Metropolitan Campus Information Sessions via Zoom. Zoom links will be provided in the emails when we start advertising for these meetings:
- February 4, 2022 at 2:30 PM
- February 7, 2022 at 9:00 PM
- February 9, 2022 at 4:00 PM
- February 13, 2022 at 5:00 PM
- Application closes: February 18, 2022 at 10 AM
- Application review: February 18 to February 23
- First Round RA Interviews: February 28 to March 7
- Second Round Interviews: March 21 to March 25
- Offers sent out: April 1
- Decisions due: April 5.
For any questions regarding the respective campus RA selection process, please email:
- Metropolitan Campus: email@example.com
- Florham Campus: firstname.lastname@example.org or MRKres@student.fdu.edu
Metro Orientation Leaders
Every year, the Office of the Dean of Students selects a group of mature and dedicated undergraduate students to assist with implementing Orientation programs for the summer. Orientation Leaders serve as representatives of Fairleigh Dickinson University; therefore, candidates must exhibit a myriad of skills and qualifications. Through training, and with prior experience, Orientation Leaders are expected to possess knowledge about the University and demonstrate competence in sharing this information with Orientation participants. OLs must be outgoing, articulate, and willing to help incoming students ease into their new environment.
- Exhibited leadership potential and experience.
- Good disciplinary standing with no current serious student conduct sanctions.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of the University.
- Demonstrates interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of team members, students and families.
- Must be open-minded and willing to step outside of their comfort zone.
- Willingness to identify, connect and retain Fairleigh Dickinson University students.
- Desire to learn about the University’s people, community, programs, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated record of flexibility, responsibility and willingness to assist others.
- Ability to handle stress.
- Comfortable speaking publicly in front of large groups of people
- Be an Ambassador on behalf of Fairleigh Dickinson University.
- You must be a registered full-time undergraduate student for the Fall 2022 semester
- Good academic standing, with a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Full-time undergraduate or full-time 5-year combined degree student
- 4 or 5 year students graduating in December 2022
- Must be able to work for the mandatory dates listed below
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Attend and participate in training sessions for the summer.
- Supervise activities while living among new students attending orientation sessions.
- Serve as a positive representative of the University to new students and their families.
- Facilitate new students’ introduction to the University by maintaining an open, helpful attitude and using effective communication techniques.
- Promote interaction among new students during small group discussions, icebreakers, meals, and evening activities.
- Answer student and family questions about social and academic aspects of University life.
- Facilitate small group interactions on various topics at Orientation.
- Facilitate small activities for new students through direct involvement.
- Work closely and cooperate with other Orientation Leaders and orientation staff to develop, prepare, implement, and evaluate the orientation programs.
- Work with professional staff of the Orientation 2022 Program to assist with and support all aspects of the orientation program, including Move-In Day, Week of Welcome, Open House, and Fast Days.
- Provide administrative support for the program, including preparation of orientation materials.
- Students are expected to be part of any virtual orientation sessions as well, which can be done remotely
- Complete the Metro orientation leader online application.
- Applicants will be contacted for individual interview if invited to move forward in the process
- Interviews will take place from March 21 to April 1, 2022
- Attend a Group Process session on Thursday, March 31 from 3:30 to 5:00 PM, location TBD
- Applicants will be notified by April 15, 2022, regarding their application status
- If selected, Meet and Greet will take place on Thursday, April 21, from 3:30 to 5:00 PM, location TBD
- Training Sessions will occur between the dates of June 6-9, 2022
New Student Orientation Dates:
- Tuesday June 14, 2022
- Tuesday, June 28, 2022
- Tuesday, July 19, 2022
- Tuesday, July 26, 2022
- Tuesday, August 2, Virtual Session
- August 24, 2022
- Thursday, August 25, New Student Move In
- Friday August 26 to Saturday August 27, New Student Welcome Days
- Sunday August 28, 2022, Upperclassmen Move In
Please email email@example.com with any questions.
Florham Orientation Leaders
The Office of First-Year Experience and Student Engagement is responsible for planning and implementing a comprehensive Orientation Program that welcomes new students and their families to the Fairleigh Dickinson University Florham Campus community. The Orientation Leader assists with facilitating and leading successful interactive and educational training and team development programs. Orientation Leaders demonstrate role model behavior as they set the tone and expectations for the new students and families during Orientation sessions. Orientation Leaders support Orientation team efforts including answering new student and family phone calls, making confirmation phone calls, monitoring Orientation emails, and assisting with administrative requirements as directed by the Office of First-Year Experience and Student Engagement.
Orientation Leaders are responsible for the successful integration of new students and their families into the university community by providing guidance during the transition period. The Orientation team members are expected to demonstrate knowledge of the university, available services, and the many campus resources offered to new students and families. Orientation team members embody the values of the university, representing Fairleigh Dickinson University in a positive, inclusive, and enthusiastic manner.
Orientation Leaders are expected to be present for all Orientation Leader training and Orientation programming preparation, execution, and breakdown/reflection meetings. Orientation Leaders will be present at social programming and team bonding activities during training and team events before orientation sessions. This is done to ensure continuity and to confirm that all required tasks are completed. Due to the large time commitment of the Orientation Leader position as well as the mental and physical demands of the role, Orientation Leaders are discouraged from holding or working elsewhere during training and orientation season. Orientation Leaders are also expected to take vacation or time away from the position before and after Orientation Leader Training and Orientation sessions.
Expectations and Responsibilities
- Serve as a leader and role model
- Attend and actively participate in all training and Orientation sessions
- Including dates in the Spring 2023 semester
- Including summer training June 12, 2023 – June 23, 2023
- Including attending team bonding or social activities during training
- Including attending and being present for all Orientation programming
- Attend all Orientation sessions (June-August 2023 and January 2024)
- Work office hours as directed in the Office of First Year Experience and Student Engagement.
- Attend and actively participate in August 2023 Move-In Weekend Events (August 24-27)
- Attend and actively participate in January 2024 Training (at least two days prior to the start of January 2024 orientation – date TBD)
- Strive to create a dynamic, inclusive, cohesive, and supportive Orientation Leader team through mediating and addressing team conflicts and keeping professional staff informed
- Work as a team with other Orientation Leaders
- Work with, learn from, and support all Orientation staff including interns, graduate assistants, and other student & professional staff
- During regular office hours respond to student and family questions in person, over the phone, and via email in a professional, polite, and charismatic manner
- Assist with facilitating group or team discussions and activities before, during, and after orientation
- Be present and visible on campus as directed
- Abide by and reinforce all university regulations on both a personal and team level
- Comfortable and proficient communicating with, supporting, and leading team members
- The ability to be reliable, responsible, helpful, and adaptable
- The ability to work and communicate effectively with a diverse group of people including new students, families, faculty, and FDU staff
- Strive to maintain a learning and positive attitude
- Confident in asking for assistance, clarification, and support
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate student or a student enrolled in a 5-year combined degree program at Fairleigh Dickinson University Florham Campus
- Have and maintain good academic standing (2.5 GPA minimum)
- Have and maintain good conduct standing with no outstanding judicial sanctions
- Prior on-campus involvement at Fairleigh Dickinson University Florham Campus
Contact The Office of First-Year Experience and Student Engagement, firstname.lastname@example.org, 973-443-8570
- Applications Due: 2/12/23 at 5pm via https://forms.office.com/r/3Bv9HuYSxT (Florham Orientation Leader Application)
- Dual Stage Interview Period: 2/27/23 – 3/25/23
- Offer Letters Sent: 3/31/23
- Signed Contracts Due: 4/11/23