Fairleigh Dickinson University Pre-Master’s Program (FDU PMP) is a one-semester pathway program for international graduate students who have intermediate English language skills and are academically admissible to a PMP masters’ degree program at FDU.
The PMP is designed to help students overcome the obstacles they face in the beginning of their studies by providing an innovative curriculum that integrates specialized English language preparation with learning strategies geared specifically towards their academic program while offering academic credit towards their degree in the pathway semester. The PMP is offered only at our Metropolitan Campus.
PMP Goals and Advantages
- Receive highly specialized English language courses
- Earn credits towards a master’s degree
- Tackle the most common causes of English language difficulty (university-level reading and writing, effective classroom participation)
- Acquire learning strategies for higher success
- Learn new skills and knowledge in small class sizes
- Attain background knowledge and technical terminology specific to your degree program
- Access FDU’s general language tutoring and support centers
- Start in Spring or Fall semesters (depending upon the academic major you choose)
- Qualify for significant merit-based scholarships for your master’s degree
Applying to PMP
Students who meet the PMP minimum English proficiency requirement should apply directly to FDU.
To meet the English proficiency required for PMP, students must submit one of the following minimum scores of English as well as other required credentials.
Proof of the accepted level of English proficiency by submitting one of the following:
- TOEFL iBT score from 60 to 69
- IELTS overall band score of 5.5
- ELS Language Center Certificate of Completion – Level 110, English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program
- For a complete list, please see English Proficiency Requirements
To determine admissibility to programs that require either a GRE or GMAT, students applying to the PMP are encouraged to submit the required test score with their application. Applicants who choose to defer the exam or whose scores are not satisfactory may be admitted conditionally to the PMP Master’s program of their choice and be given the opportunity to take or retake the test during the PMP semester. Otherwise, applicants may choose a program that does not require a test score.
Students admitted to FDU’s PMP receive an FDU I-20 for the pathway period.
Students who have not taken a test of English or scored below the PMP minimum requirement may apply for Conditional Admission to FDU and submit an application for intensive English language study to the ELS Language Center on our Metropolitan campus. Upon completion of Level 110 of ELS’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program students may transfer to the PMP.
The PMP Master’s Degree Majors include:
Programs with no GRE/GMAT requirement:
- Electronic Commerce MS
- Hospitality Management Studies MS
- Public Administration MPA
- Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language (TESL/TEFL) MA
Programs with deferred GRE/GMAT requirement:
- Accounting MS
- Accounting MBA
- Business Administration MBA
- Computer Engineering MS
- Computer Science MS
- Cybersecurity and Information Assurance MS
- Electrical Engineering MSEE
- Finance MBA
- International Business MBA
- Management MBA
- Management Information Systems MS
- Marketing MBA
- Pharmaceutical Management Studies MBA
- Supply Chain Management MS
PMP Courses, Hours per Week, and Credit Hours
- EPS 5008 Academic Writing Skills, 6 hours, for no credit
- EPS 5018 Academic Communication Skills, 3 hours, for no credit
- EPS 5109 English for Occupational Purposes, 2.5 hours, for no credit
- EPS 5119 English for Academic Purposes, 1.5 hours, for no credit
- One (1) graduate elective course in anticipated graduate program, 2.5 hours, for 2 to 3 credits
- EPS 5201 Global Exchange: New York City as a Classroom, variable meeting times, for 3 credits
Requirements for successful completion of the PMP and final admission to the graduate degree program:
- Successful completion of the required EPS courses. Students failing to successfully complete the required EPS courses may repeat the PMP semester once.
- Achievement of a 3.0 minimum grade point average (GPA) during the Pre-Masters Semester. Students failing to meet the GPA requirement may repeat the PMP semester once. Students failing to meet the GPA requirement twice will not receive final admission to the FDU master’s program.
- Submission of a qualifying GRE or GMAT where required.*
Applicants from a foreign university:
- Fall (August) semester: July 1
- Spring (January) semester: December 1
- Summer semester (limited programs): May 1
Applicants from a U.S. university:
- Fall (August) semester: August 1
- Spring (January) semester: January 1
- Summer semester (limited programs): May 1
Admissions are rolling. Please allow 3-4 weeks to process your application.
Deadlines may vary according to program. Please check your desired major’s department website for more details.