Pre-Masters Program (PMP)
For Graduate Applicants to New Jersey Campuses
Fairleigh Dickinson University’s Pre-Master’s Program (FDU PMP) is offered at our Metropolitan Campus in New Jersey, USA, and available to students who are academically admissible to FDU.
Conditional admission is available for many master’s degrees.
Depending upon a student’s level of English proficiency, the student will be placed in either the Intermediate Pre-Master’s Program (IPMP) or Advanced Pre-Master’s Program (PMP).
- Intermediate PMP (IPMP) can be completed in one or two academic semesters and consists entirely of intensive practical English courses.
- Advanced PMP (PMP)can be completed in one academic semester and combines advanced English for Professional Success (EPS) courses and regular academic courses.
Applying to PMP
The international graduate application for admission and all academic credentials (all university transcripts) must be received and reviewed before eligibility for the PMP can be determined. An English proficiency score report may or may not be required, in keeping with the University’s English proficiency policy (www.fdu.edu/English).
Students who meet the PMP minimum English proficiency requirement may complete the PMP in one semester prior to full matriculation into their master’s degree studies.
To meet the English proficiency required for PMP, students may submit one of the following minimum scores:
- TOEFL iBT score from 60 to 69
- IELTS overall band score of 5.5
- For a complete list, please see English Proficiency Requirements
Admission requirements are the same as graduates, apart from the English proficiency requirement.
Students who have not taken an English test or who have scored below the minimum requirement for Advanced PMP will be considered for conditional admission to FDU with intensive English language study in the Intermediate Pre-Master’s Program (IPMP). Upon completion of the IPMP semester, students will transition into the Advanced PMP semester, in which students may complete 1 to 3 credits of academic coursework in addition to English for Professional Success coursework.
Students admitted to FDU’s PMP receive an FDU I-20 for the pathway period. Upon completing the PMP, students will be issued an FDU I-20 for the remaining duration of the degree program.
The PMP Master’s Degree Majors
Programs that offer conditional admission with deferred GRE/GMAT submission:
- MBA (all concentrations)
- MS in Accounting
- MS in Computer Engineering
- MS in Computer Science
- MS in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
- MS in Electrical Engineering
- MS in Management Information Systems
Students who are conditionally admitted to these programs can prepare for the GRE or GMAT while attending the Pre-Master’s Program. Qualifying GRE or GMAT scores must be submitted within 30 days after the completion of the Pre-Master’s Program.
Programs that offer conditional admission with no GRE/GMAT submission:
- MS in Biology
- MS in Electronic Commerce (E-Commerce)
- Master of Hospitality Management Studies
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Sport Management
Part-time programs that offer conditional admission with no GRE/GMAT submission (not available to F-1 or J-1 students)
- MAS in Administrative Science
- MS in Homeland Security Administration
- MA in Student Services Administration
Requirements for successful completion of the PMP and final admission to the graduate degree program:
- Successful completion of the required EPS courses. Students failing to successfully complete the required EPS courses may repeat the PMP semester once.
- Achievement of a 3.0 minimum grade point average (GPA) during the Pre-Masters Semester. Students failing to meet the GPA requirement may repeat the PMP semester once. Students failing to meet the GPA requirement twice will not receive final admission to the FDU master’s program.
- Submission of a qualifying GRE or GMAT where required.
Applicants must do the following:
- Complete an international application for admission through fdu.edu/global
- Submit academic records from all secondary and post-secondary schools attended. If transcripts, diplomas, or any other academic documents are not in English, an official English translation must be included
- Submit any other documents as specified by the program, such as letters of recommendation, statement of academic purpose, resume/cv, etc.
Students on F-1 Status
Admitted students who will study at Fairleigh Dickinson University on an international student visa (F-1 visa) status will receive an FDU I-20 for the duration of the Pre-Master’s Program along with a letter of conditional acceptance to the master’s degree program. Upon successfully completing the Pre-Master’s Program, the student will be issued an updated I-20 for the remaining duration of the master’s program.
Applicants living outside the United States:
- Fall (August) semester: July 1
- Spring (January) semester: December 1
- Summer semester(limited programs): May 1
Applicants living in the United States:
- Fall (August) semester: August 1
- Spring (January) semester: January 1
- Summer semester(limited programs): May 1
Admissions are rolling. Please allow 3-4 weeks to process your application.
Deadlines may vary according to the program. Please check your desired major’s department website for more details.
Questions about conditional admission options should be sent via email to email@example.com.