Information for J-1 Exchange Visitors

The purpose of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program is to promote international educational and cultural exchange in order to develop mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries. Exchange programs exist in a variety of formats and permit visitors to come to this country for a wide range of activities. Fairleigh Dickinson University’s exchange visitor program provides opportunities for study and research.

The US Department of State is the official governing body responsible for J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. In order to receive a J-1 visa from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country you must apply for and receive a form DS-2019 from Fairleigh Dickinson University (formerly referred to as IAP-66).

Fairleigh Dickinson University is approved to host J-1 exchange visitors in the following categories: Visiting Professors, Research Scholars, Student Interns, and Students. To find out if you qualify for one of these programs you would need to identify your category and contact the appropriate office:

Research Scholars or Visiting Professors
– Contact Diana Cvitan, Director of Global Learning and Partnership at
Potential Research Scholars and Visiting Professors can review the procedures of the program as well as the qualifications needed to apply.

Visiting Students
– Visiting students from one of  FDU’s Global Partnership Institutions should contact your university program coordinator for information. Please visit the following webpage for a list of FDU Global Partnership Institutions.
– All other students interested in coming to FDU as a visiting student should contact Susan Cuffee, International Student Services at

FDU Vancouver Visiting Students
Contact Jobin Mojtabavi, Director of Student Services at

Student Interns
Contact Contact Susan Cuffee, International Student Services at