Associate Professor of History
Chair, Department of Social Sciences and History
- Civil War and Reconstruction: 1848-1877
- Birth of Modern America: 1877-1929
- America in the Age of Reform: 1929-1968
- Contemporary America: 1968-Present
- U.S. as a Continental Power: 1607-1898
- U.S. becoming a Global Power: 1898-1945
- America and the Cold War: 1945-1991
- World History since 1500
- Pacific Worlds (with study abroad to East Asia and South Pacific)
- Senior Seminar: Race and Empire
- Western Front in World War I (summer study abroad at Wroxton College)
- Western Front in World War II (summer study abroad at Wroxton College)
- American politics from the Civil War through the 20th century
- American foreign and military policy
- American reform movements
- Race and development in a global and comparative context
- Imperialism and colonialism in a global and comparative context
- PhD History, Rutgers University (NJ)
- MA History, Southern Methodist University (TX)
- BA History with Honors, Hampden-Sydney College (VA)
Professor Darden’s career at FDU began in 2005 teaching United States and World history. His scholarship and coursework engage American as well as Global and Comparative themes in the Modern Era.
He is the author of academic journal articles, encyclopedia articles, book reviews, online video chapters for a leading U.S. history textbook, historic text for a book accompanying a major photo exhibit on the American soldier, and appeared on the PBS documentary Treasures of New Jersey: Florham (2017).
He has engaged FDU students in annual study abroad programs since 2008, which include: Wroxton College, England with France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and/or the Netherlands (2022, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011); Australia, New Zealand, and Hawaii (2018); Thailand (2016); Spain (2014); Vietnam and Cambodia (2012); Japan (2010); China (2008).
He has regularly served in leadership roles at the department, college, and university levels. These include: Department Chair of Social Sciences and History (2013-Present); Faculty Senate as Vice President (2014-2015), President (2015-2016), and Chair of its Academic Planning and Research Committee (2016-Present); Provost Advisory Group on Restructuring (2017-2018); General Education Task Force (2015-2016).
Important Note: Faculty profiles may include links to one or more non-FDU websites, including websites self-maintained by faculty to provide additional information about their publications, scholarly pursuits, and other information of interest. If you click on these links, you will be leaving the FDU-maintained website and will be directed to a site that is not under the control of FDU. FDU is not responsible for the content or accessibility of linked non-FDU websites. If, however, you experience a problem with the content or accessibility of a linked website, please contact us using the information on our Accessibility page.