Musical Theater Minor
The 15-credit musical theater minor enables students interested in this subject to take a series of basic courses in acting, singing, and dance, followed by choices in a more specific area of dance or musical theater. This minor is available to non-theater arts majors. Minors are also encouraged to audition for or to crew departmental productions in either of FDU’s two theaters: Dreyfuss Theater and the Barn Theater. Between these spaces, the School of the Arts mounts a full season of productions each year including musicals, providing opportunities for hands-on application of classroom learning.
The minor is offered by the School of the Arts, Maxwell Becton College of Arts and Sciences, at the Florham Campus, Madison, New Jersey.
Required Courses (9 credits)
- DAN1320 Beginning Dance (3) OR DAN2600 Theater Dance (3)
- THEA1015/MUSIC 1015 Basic Vocal Technique (3) OR
MUSIC 1376 Private Voice I (1) and MUSIC 1380 Private Voice II (1) and MUSIC 1401 Private Voice II (1)
- THEA1110 Introduction to Acting (3)
Choose 6 credits from the following (6 credits)
- THEA 1111 Introduction to Acting 2
- DAN2020 Basic Tap (3) +
- DAN2021 Ballet 1 (3) +
- DAN2506 Movement for the Actor
- MUSIC2221 Fundamentals of Music Theory
- THEAH3344/MUSIH3344 History of the Musical
- THEA3336 Acting for TV and Film (3) (with prerequisite)
- MUSIC 3398 FDU at the RSC: Musical Theater Cabaret*
- THEA 3361 Stage Production and Crew 1 (1)
- THEA 3362 Stage Production and Crew 2 (1)
- THEA 3363 Stage Production and Crew 3 (1)
- THEA 1005 Makeup for the Stage (1)
*FDU at the RSC courses are provided through a partnership with the Royal Shakespeare Company and Stepping Stone Performing Arts on FDU’s Wroxton campus in England. See fdu.edu/rsc for further details.
+More advanced dancers may substitute an alternative dance course by permission of Cindy Thole Loewus, Head of Dance.
Stacie Lents, Director of Theater Arts Program Professor of Theater
School of the Arts, Maxwell Becton College of Arts and Sciences firstname.lastname@example.org