FMLA Source Application Process
Family Medical Leaves and Temporary Disability Leaves, are administered by Guardian FMLASource on behalf of Fairleigh Dickinson University. This ensures that your medical leave along with your disability leave is properly approved and administered to protect your benefits and ensure that qualified claims are filed.
Please see complete policy information.
How to apply for Temporary Disability and/or FMLA/FLA
Please be advised ALL regular full and part time staff as well as adjuncts and full time faculty may apply for temporary disability. Employees who need to apply for temporary disability and/or FMLA/FLA, must initiate their leave request by calling 1-888-FML- GLIC (1-888-365-4542). You may also log on to www.fmlasource.com to initiate a leave request or to ask questions about a potential leave.
Your information will be verified by a Benefits Specialist who will initiate the FMLA and Temporary Disability process and answer your questions. You will be notified of the status of your FMLA and Disability claim once they have been processed.
Please visit the links below for detailed instructions on the call-in process. A wallet card is also available to print.
Family Medical Leave Act of 1993
FMLA provides up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job protected leave to “eligible” employees for certain family and medical reasons. You are eligible if you have worked for Fairleigh Dickinson University for at least one year and worked for 1,250 hours over the previous 12 months.
Reasons for Taking Leave
Unpaid leave must be granted for any of the following reasons:
- To care for your child after birth, or placement for adoption or foster care;
- To care for your spouse, son, daughter, or parent who has a serious health condition;
- For a serious health condition that makes you unable to perform your job.
- In situations of qualifying exigency to be with an employee’s spouse, parent or child if said person is an active servicemember or has an impending call to active duty in support of a contingency operation.
- For the care of an injured service member if the servicemember is the employee’s spouse, child, parent, or “next of kin”. This type of FMLA can be elected to be taken for up to 26 weeks in a 12-month period.
Advance Notice and Medical Certification
You may be required to provide advance leave notice and medical certification. Taking leave may be denied if requirements are not met:
- You ordinarily must provide 30 days advance notice when the leave is foreseeable.
- Fairleigh Dickinson University may require medical certification to support a request for leave because of a serious health condition, and may require second or third opinions (at the employer’s expense) and a fitness-for-duty report to return to work.
Job Benefits and Protection
- For the duration of FMLA leave, Fairleigh Dickinson University must maintain your health coverage under any “group health plan”. You will continue to be responsible for your portion of the cost sharing of the premium payments
- Upon return from FMLA leave, employees must be restored to their original or equivalent positions with equivalent pay, benefits and other employment terms.
- The use of FMLA leave cannot result in the loss of any employment benefit that accrued prior to the start of an employee’s leave.