About the Estate
- Audio tour of the Mansion, created by FDU students.
- The Twomblys of Florham video with Walter Savage, Carol Bere, and Arthur Vanderbilt II, recorded March 29, 2009
- Vanderbilt Family Genealogy Page with a striking photo of the Florham mansion before trees surrounded the Clowney Gardens
- Mrs. Twombly at an 1883 Ball a photo of her in her ball gown
- Biography of Ruth Vanderbilt Twombly with portrait in oil
- Florence Adele Vanderbilt Twombly with a number of period photographs of the Florham estate
- Maggie Land Blanck’s Postcard Collection including shots of contemporary buildings in the Madison area and one early postcard of the estate.
- Twombly’s Landing on the New Jersey Palisades describing the Twomblys’ 1909 donation of Hudson riverfront now part of Palisades Interstate Park Commission land
- Florham, a Hybrid Daylily The head gardener at Florham, at least in 1899, was Arthur Herrington, formerly of Kew Gardens. Herrington created a hybrid daylily, registered under the name of Florham.
- Alexander Hamilton Twombly shown in a stern-looking photo, was a Massachusetts State Senator.
- Suffolk County Vanderbilt Museum, also showing a list of Vanderbilt family homes
A Friends of Florham Bibliography
- The Big Spenders: The Epic Story of the Rich Rich, the Grandees of America and the Magnificoes, and How They Spent Their Fortunes (Paperback) ~ Lucius Beebe
Although this book does not mention the Vanderbilt-Twombly couple in the text, it includes a contemporary line drawing depicting the couple in church on their wedding day, for those interested in the appearance of Florence’s wedding gown.
- The First Tycoon: The Epic Life of Cornelius Vanderbilt~ T.J. Stiles
See Arthur Vanderbilt’s review ina recent newsletter.
- Fortune’s Children ~ Arthur T. Vanderbilt 2nd
- The Vanderbilt Women: Dynasty of Wealth, Glamour and Tragedy (Paperback) by Clarice Stasz
- Patterson, Jerry E., The Vanderbilts, Abrams, NY, 1989
- Burden, Shirley, The Vanderbilts in My Life, Ticknor and Fields, 1981
- Burden, Wendy, Dead End Gene Pool, A Memoir
- Peggy and I: A life too busy for a dull moment (Hardcover) by William A. M. Burden (Author) — Florence Twombley Burden’s son recounts his visits to Florham as a boy
- The Vanderbilts and The Gilded Age: Architectural Aspirations 1879-1901 by John Foreman and Robbie Pierce Stimson — a chapter on each of the houses: Biltmore, Shelburne, the Breakers, Marble House, Florham, and others — built by eight grandchildren of Cornelius “Commodore” Vanderbilt.