Academic Leave of Absence

Undergraduate Students

An academic leave of absence allows Fairleigh Dickinson University students to interrupt their studies if necessary. An academic leave of absence permits an undergraduate student to temporarily withdraw from the University and return without penalty, may be granted only to a matriculated student with a cumulative grade point ratio of 2.00 or higher. An academic leave may cover only one semester with the privilege of renewal for one more consecutive regular semester. To request a renewal, a student must submit an appeal in writing to the Dean of Students. An academic leave of absence may be granted for (1) medical, (2) financial, (3) employment, or (4) military reasons. An academic leave of absence is not required for the summer or January sessions. Verification in writing must be furnished where applicable by the physician, employer, or other authority. A student taking an ALOA is not permitted to take class(es) at another institution, and ALOA becomes void if academic or judicial sanctions such as suspension or dismissal are applied at a later date. Leaves granted for medical reasons require that the condition necessitating the leave be ameliorated by medical or therapeutic treatment according to current standards of treatment, including if such standards call for continuing treatment subsequent to return to studies. Written verification from treating professionals will be required before return, and intermittently for continuing treatment. All academic leaves of absence must be approved in advance by submitting a Withdrawal and Academic Leave of Absence Form to the Dean of Students Office. Authority to grant an academic leave of absence to New Jersey campus students, or to renew leaves, resides with your respective Dean of Students.

Withdrawal and Academic leave of absence form

International Students

Limited circumstances permit an international student (F-1 or J-1) to obtain an academic leave of absence. In most cases, an academic leave of absence requires an international student to return to his or her home country immediately. The Office of International Student Services must review and recommend approval of an academic leave of absence for all international students. Failure to receive the Office of International Student Services recommendation will jeopardize the student’s student/exchange visitor status in the United States. 

Graduate Students

Graduate students wishing to withdraw from the University or take an academic leave of absence should consult their respective graduate program director/chair.