Applying for Study Permit

After you receive your letter of admission to Fairleigh Dickinson University, you should begin the process of applying for your Student Permit. To study in Canada, you must obtain a Study Permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. We strongly advise applying early, as the processing of Study Permits may take longer than the expected timeframe. Contact your closest Canadian Embassy or Consulate for more information about processing times, and possible deadlines for study abroad applications.

You will need the following documents to apply for a Study Permit:

  • A valid passport. We recommend that your passport be valid the entire length of your academic program.
  • Your original letter of acceptance from Fairleigh Dickinson University. As of January 22, 2024, new study permit applications now require a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) from the province of British Columbia. If you have received an offer for an undergraduate program at FDU, you will need to provide PAL. Please note that FDU Master’s students are exempt from the PAL requirement.
  • Financial documentation to show how you will pay for tuition and living expenses for a minimum of one year. We recommend you provide a bank letter in your name or the name of your sponsor. If you have a sponsor, we recommend you also bring an affidavit of financial support. This document must be signed by your sponsor (the person whose name is on the bank statement) and must be stamped by a notary public. If you have been awarded a scholarship from Fairleigh Dickinson University, we highly recommend you provide the original award letter as additional proof of financial support.

To apply for a Study Permit, please follow this link: How to apply for Study Permit