Vancouver Campus Health Services

Your health is an important part of your success as a student. There are three important aspects to a having a healthy student life.

  1. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle
  2. Having proper health insurance
  3. Getting medical help when you need it

At FDU, our Student Services staff are here to assist you in every way we can. If you have any questions about services, insurance or health matters, please contact us.

Medical Insurance

FDU policy requires that all students are covered by basic health insurance for the entire duration of their studies. All students are required to provide proof of valid medical insurance coverage. The British Columbia health system provides a high standard of care, which is very expensive, if you are not insured. Without insurance, you could pay thousands of dollars per day for a hospital stay or even be refused certain health services.

In British Columbia, there are generally two types of insurance: Basic (HIBC) and Extended. HIBC covers most basic medical problems which occur in BC, such as visits to doctors, hospital stays and diagnostic medical testing. Extended health insurance covers many other areas not covered by HIBC such as dental, vision, prescriptions and out of province travel.

  • All students covered by Health Insurance British Columbia (HIBC) are issued a BC Services Card.
  • You will need to present your BC Services Card whenever you go to a doctor for treatment.

Medical Insurance for International Students

International students must have health insurance for the entire duration of their studies at FDU. If any family members are accompanying you, they should also have adequate health insurance during their stay in Canada.

In British Columbia, all international students will need to register for the British Columbia Health Insurance Plan (HIBC). International students will be eligible to join the plan in their third month in BC. FDU Vancouver staff will assist new students in applying for their HIBC. It is important that you apply as soon as possible after you arrive in Canada. When you apply for HIBC, you will need to provide a copy of your study permit. You do not have to pay right away. They will send you a bill. Forms are available at, or from the Student Services office.

Temporary Sickness and Accident Insurance
FDU-Vancouver provides private Health Insurance through Guard Me, to cover students during their 3 month bridging period. Guard Me provides affordable comprehensive health insurance when students arrive in Canada. All FDU Students must purchase Guard Me’s University and College Plan during this 3-month waiting period through FDU. Guard Me’s medical plan pays for all basic medical expenses as well as certain additional services such as required prescriptions. Please visit for an explanation of Guard Me’s University and College policy coverage. All new students are automatically enrolled into Guard Me’s plan at a rate of $2.10 per day, beginning on the first day of the first month students arrive in Canada. 

British Columbia Health Insurance (HIBC)
In British Columbia, there are generally two types of insurance: basic (HIBC) and extended. You will need to present your Care Card whenever you go to a doctor for treatment.

Services not covered by HIBC:

  • prescription drugs
  • ambulance service
  • dentist visits
  • cosmetic surgery
  • eye examinations
  • services of chiropractors, physiotherapists, naturopaths, massage therapists, podiatrists, psychologists
  • extended coverage for out of province travel

If you already have MSP coverage, you must ensure that your MSP status is still valid and paid up to date. Remember, your MSP will expire at the same time as your Study Permit. If you have recently renewed your Study Permit, you must send a copy to MSP to extend your coverage. If you change your residence, ensure your address is updated on their website.

Extended Health Benefits
Extended health insurance generally covers vision care, prescription drugs and dental care. Extended health insurance can be purchased at an additional cost from private insurance providers in British Columbia. This additional insurance will include dental care, prescriptions and travel outside of the province.

Out of Province Travel
As the HIBC plan coverage has limits on coverage outside of the province, FDU-Vancouver recommends that students purchase additional travel insurance if they plan to travel outside of BC or Canada. For example, if you are required to go into hospital during a visit, the HIBC plan may not cover all the expenses. Travel insurance can be purchased on a daily rate of $2.10 for just the days that you will be outside of BC or Canada. For more information contact the Student Services Office in Room 110 or call 604-648-4465.

Other Medical Services and Information

  • Dental Care
    If you need to visit a dentist, please contact the Student Services Office for a list of nearby dentists. If you purchase the recommended bridging insurance, you will have limited emergency dental coverage when your insurance is in effect for the first three months. The Health Insurance British Columbia (HIBC) does not cover dental expenses, so you will be required to pay for your own dental care. It is a good idea to visit the dentist in your home country prior to coming to Canada. You may purchase extended health insurance to provide dental coverage. For more information contact the Student Services Office.
  • Pharmacy
    In order to purchase medication, you must see a doctor and get a prescription. You would then take the prescription to have it filled at the pharmacy.
  • Ambulance
    Ambulances are only called in cases of emergency. Students are responsible to pay a fee if an ambulance is called. Ambulance fees are generally covered by bridging or extended health insurance.
  • Clinics and Hospitals
    There are a number of medical clinics and hospitals located near the campus. They are accessible by public transportation. Please contact the Student Services Office for a list of nearby medical services.

Counselling Services

The FDU Vancouver Campus offers free, confidential counseling services to our students to support them in various areas of mental and emotional health, including stress, anxiety, depression, concentration, and relationships. Counseling Services takes place on Mondays to Thursdays from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM. The Office of Counseling Services is located in Room 237, on the second floor of the campus. Counseling Services can be reached at or by phone at 604-648-4497.

24 Hour Crisis Centre

Volunteer organization committed to helping people to help them and others deal with crises.

Greater Vancouver         604-872-3311

BC–wide phone #          1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433)


Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a very important factor for succeeding in university.  Students should be aware that their diet, fitness habits, and amount of sleep they get all contribute to their performance in the classroom.

  • Air (breathing)
    • Quality matters (smoking, pollution, etc) provide a negative impact
    • When feeling nervous or anxious take some deep breathes to relax
    • Be aware of your breathe when being physically active
  • Water
    • Hydrate yourself adequately, 6-8 cups of water a day or more
    • Limit or eliminate liquid calories (juice, milk, pop, alcohol)
  • Sleep
    • Aim for 6-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night (90min sleep cycles)
    • Dark, Quiet, and Cool environment free of electronics
  • Food
    • Eat a Rainbow Everyday – Fruits and Vegetables: 8 to 10 servings a day
    • Always choose Whole Grains – Grain Products: 6 to 8 servings
    • The less legs on the animal, the better – Meat, Milk, and Alternatives: 2 to 4 servings
    • Choose foods your ancestors could have ate 1000 or 10000 years ago (no packaged or processed foods)
    • Just like a car you need fuel to move and think…if you are hungry eat!
  • Movement
    • Be physically active daily (30-60mins)
    • A gym isn’t necessary to be physically active – there are lots of options: weight lifting, running, dancing, yoga, team sports, individual sports, martial arts, swimming, biking, hiking, skiing, etc
    • Choose active transportation: walk, run, bike, rollerblade, skateboard
    • Primal Movement Patterns (PMP): make up the skills necessary for all movements
    • PMP: Squat, Lunge, Bend, Push, Pull, Twist, Gait (walk/run)

You don’t need to overhaul your entire life in one day, pick 1-2 small actions that you can do daily for a month and create a new healthy habit that will last a lifetime.

These fitness tips were provided by Josh Neumann from