Students are responsible for ensuring that they have the appropriate immigration documents to be eligible to study and, if applicable, work in Canada; and for ensuring that their immigration documents, including passports, visas, study permits, and work permits are properly maintained and renewed within specified times. Our Student Services staff are available to assist students to find information about the processes they need to follow, and they also organize a variety of seminars on immigration related matters, which students are encouraged to attend. However, our staff cannot take responsibility for any issues related to the application or renewal of students’ documents. For information specific to your situation, please contact the consulate of your home country, the country you wish to visit, or Immigration Canada, or consult a professional immigration consultant.

Fairleigh Dickinson University’s Designated Learning Institution Number (DLI Number)

Fairleigh Dickinson University is a designated learning institution in British Columbia. FDU’s DLI Number is O19227134842 – the number begins with the letter “O”.

When you apply for your study permit or visa, CIC may ask for FDU’s DLI Number.

Study Permits—Who Can Apply

In most cases, you must obtain a study permit if you want to study in Canada. To be eligible to study in Canada:

  • You must have received acceptance into academic, professional, vocational or other education or training that is more than 6 months in duration at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada.
  • You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
    • Tuition fees;
    • Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada; As of January 1, 2024, the minimum cost-of-living financial requirement has increased from $10,000 to $20,635 for 2024, For new study permit applications, you will need to show proof of funds for the cost-of-living financial requirement plus your first year of tuition fees and travel costs. The cost-of-living amount will be adjusted each year based on Statistics Canada’s low-income cut-off and
    • Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
  • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada.
  • You may have to provide a police certificate.
  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies.


(taken from

In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada.

  • If you wish to study in a short-term course or program
    You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.
  • Foreign representatives to Canada
    If you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD), you may not need a permit to study in Canada. You should contact your embassy in Canada. Your embassy can contact the Office of Protocol at DFATD to find out whether you need a study permit.
  • Members of foreign armed forces
    If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a permit to study in Canada. If your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements.
  • Foreign nationals who are Registered Indians in Canada
    If you are a citizen of another country who has Registered Indian status in Canada, you do not need a permit to study in Canada.