Working in Canada

As an international student, there are several types of work you can do in Canada.

For more information about work permits, please visit the Student Services office or contact Emily Wang, the International Student Advisor at

Work Options While Studying in Canada

  • As an international student you may accept part-time employment on campus as long as you are a full-time student at FDU Vancouver Campus and hold a valid study permit. “On campus” is defined by IRCC as employment facilities within the boundaries of the campus. Your employer can be the university, a private business contractor who provides services to the university or yourself (e.g., as a private tutor), or a private business or private contractor providing services to the institution on the campus. Students are not required to have a work permit to work on campus.

  • An international student with a valid study permit, who is pursuing full-time studies in a undergraduate or graduate program at FDU Vancouver Campus is eligible to work off campus. Due to temporary policies, some international students can work off-campus more than 20 hours a week between Nov 15, 2022 and Apr 30, 2024 Check IRCC website for important eligibility details. Students are not required to have a work permit to work off campus.

  • All international students need to obtain a co-op work permit and study permit for the internship program.

    You cannot use your co-op work permit for any employment other than an internship required for your program.

    If you are eligible for the temporary policies allowing you to work off campus more than 20 hours a week between Nov 15, 2022 and Apr 30, 2024, and your internship will finish during this period, you might be exempt from a co-op work permit.

  • Upon graduating, FDU Vancouver students are eligible to apply for a three-year post-graduate work permit. A post-graduate work permit allows you to live and work in Canada, after graduation for up to three years.

  • A medical exam is needed before you submit your application if you intend to work in one of the following jobs:

    • health sciences worker
    • clinical laboratory worker
    • patient attendant in nursing or geriatric homes
    • medical student admitted to Canada to attend university
    • medical elective and physician on short term assignment
    • teacher of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children
    • domestics worker, someone who gives in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
    • day nursery worker

    This is required even if your position is unpaid. See IRCC website for more detailed information.