Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) 

What is a TRV?

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also referred to as a visitor visa, is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker).












Do I need a TRV?

Unless you are a citizen of a visa-exempt country, individuals who wish to enter Canada for a temporary purpose, such as tourists, temporary foreign workers (individuals with work permits) and international students (individuals on study permits) must apply for and be granted a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

If you are from a visa-exempt country, you will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada by air.

U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents of the US do not require TRVs or eTAs.

TRV & Permits

Once you’re in Canada, having a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) isn’t mandatory as it’s primarily required for entering Canada. While having a valid TRV is highly recommended for unexpected international travel. However, it’s crucial to maintain a valid study permit or work permit to ensure legal status in Canada.

Getting a TRV
If you apply for an initial study permit or Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) from outside of Canada

You don’t need to apply for a TRV separately. When your initial study permit or PGWP is approved, you will automatically receive a TRV along with your study or work permit.

TRV renewal while you are in Canada

When extending your study permit or applying for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), it’s essential to wait until you’ve received the new study permit or PGWP before applying for a TRV from within Canada. Typically, the TRV will be issued with the same expiry date as your new study or work permit.

It’s advisable to obtain your new TRV before leaving Canada. Processing times for applications outside of Canada are generally longer, and additional documentation may be required.

We conduct monthly workshops to provide information and assistance regarding TRV. For more information, please contact our International Student Advisor Emily Wang at

How Much Does it Cost for a Study Permit?

The current processing fee is $100 per person and is paid when you submit an application for a TRV.

  • No, you will have to apply for TRVs from separate online accounts for yourself and for your family members.

  • If you’ve obtained a new passport or plan to renew your passport while abroad, and your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is in your previous passport is still valid, you can still use your TRV until its expiry date. However, please make sure to carry both your old passport containing the TRV and your new passport when traveling.


  • Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs) remain valid until the expiration date specified on the document. Unlike study permits, which automatically become invalid 90 days after your letter of completion is initially available.

  • You can continue using your TRV as long as it remains valid, regardless of whether it aligns with your current status, such as: ‘visitor’ (V-1), ‘student’ (S-1) or ‘worker’ (W-1).

  • If your passport containing a valid TRV is lost or stolen, the first step is to replace your passport.

    After getting a new passport, you can proceed to apply for a new TRV. Ensure to include a letter of explanation detailing the police report number and providing a brief explanation about what happened and why are you applying.

  • No, it is not necessary to extend your TRV while you are in Canada if you do not plan to leave the country. TRVs are primarily required for entry into Canada, and as long as you remain within the country’s borders, you do not need to renew or extend your TRV. However, it’s essential to ensure that your study or work permit remains valid to maintain legal status in Canada.

  • If you change to visitor status or your dependent family members are in Canada as visitors, you are not able to apply for a TRV through the inside Canada process, you will have to submit paper application for their TRV. Please click the link to get more information.