Early College Dual Enrollment FAQs

Academic Year 2023-2024

Which students can register for dual enrollment courses?

Early College Dual Enrollment courses are taken at the high school during the regular school day. A student must be currently enrolled in the course at their high school to register for the Early College Program and earn college credit.

How can students use the credits they earn?

Courses taken through the Early College Program may be used for elective credits, to meet college graduation requirements, and/or earn advanced standing.

How much does it cost to enroll in a course?

For academic year 2023-2024, the cost is $100.00 per credit. For example, the fee for a three-credit course is $300.00.

Will I be issued an FDU ID # once I enroll in an Early College Dual Enrollment Course?

Students who enroll in Early College Dual Enrollment Classes are FDU students and will be issued an FDU ID. Check our webpage for the tutorial which will show you how to retrieve your FDU ID after enrolling in an Early College dual enrollment class.

When can students start earning college credits at FDU?

Students in grades 9-12 are eligible to participate if they enroll in a Fairleigh Dickinson University Early College-approved course at their high school. Students are advised to check with their high school for any additional enrollment requirements or restrictions.

Can students receive credit at other colleges for the credits earned at FDU?

Students can list classes taken at Fairleigh Dickinson University as completed college-level courses on most applications for higher education. The receiving institution will make the final determination to accept or deny the credits for successfully completed courses.

Can a student register in dual enrollment courses if they have, or plan to take an AP Exam?

Yes, students can participate in the Early College Program even if they plan on taking an AP Exam.

What grade qualifies a student to receive college credits?

Dual enrollment courses are typically more rigorous than traditional high school courses. They require in-depth, higher-level assignments and examinations, and are paired with greater student independence, and responsibility. As such, a grade of “C” or higher is needed to receive college credits for each Early College Dual Enrollment course.

What makes dual enrollment courses different from traditional high school courses?

Dual enrollment courses, offered through high school, are delivered at a college level offering more in-depth subject studies, higher level assignments, and are paired with greater student independence, and responsibility.

Can dual enrollment courses be taken during the summer months?

With very few exceptions, dual enrollment courses are only available through the high school during the academic year (typically September through June). If you are interested in taking a college-level course during the summer, please click the following link to check out the Early College Summer Program.

Can dual enrollment courses be taken at one of the University’s NJ campuses?

Dual enrollment courses are only offered at the high school. If you are interested in taking a college course alongside other college students during the academic year, please click the following link to check out the Early College On Campus Program.

What happens if a student registers and is not fully ready for college-level classes?

Should a student need to withdraw from an Early College course, please send an email to earlycollege@fdu.edu. To receive a full refund, withdrawals must be requested within 30 calendar days of the course start. Refunds take approximately four weeks to process and are issued in the same form as the initial payment.

What records are available documenting the courses taken and credits earned?

At the conclusion of the academic year, the teacher submits a student’s final grade for the Early College course(s) to Fairleigh Dickinson University. Each student’s grade(s) will be recorded on an official FDU transcript since they completed the course as an FDU student.

How do students request an official FDU transcript?

Once a student enrolls in a course, they receive a link to their new FDU student portal in a ‘Welcome’ email. To locate a student’s FDU ID number, a student must click on the link sent in the “welcome” email and create a new password to log into their new FDU student portal.

After logging in, the student can view their FDU student ID number which is required when ordering a transcript.

When the student has their FDU ID number go to www.getmytranscript.org and select “Fairleigh Dickinson University” from the drop-down menu. Be sure to indicate that you are requesting an undergraduate transcript and never use your Social Security Number to secure a copy of your official transcript.

If assistance is needed, please email us at earlycollege@fdu.edu. Please note that this is the process for official transcripts only. If a student would like a copy for their records, they can download it from the site once the order is delivered electronically.

Can I call or email the Early College office to recover my FDU ID?

The Early College team is always happy to hear from you but accessing your FDU ID though the welcome portal will be much faster and will require less in the way of verification/authentication. Check back on our website for the new tutorial to assist you with quickly regaining access to your FDU ID number.

How are credits transferred if a student wants to enroll and attend FDU upon graduation?

Should a student elect to register in a dual enrollment course at Fairleigh Dickinson University, credits from courses successfully completed may transfer as General Education or Elective credit, and in some cases, may be accepted toward the student’s major area of study. While all Dual Enrollment courses are accepted as FDU classes, the placement of these courses in a student’s Degree Audit will vary program-by-program.

Will I receive a 1098 Tax form from my high school student’s dual enrollment tuition to use with my tax filing?

No, these tax forms are for college students enrolled in eligible degree-seeking programs, and not intended for high school students enrolled in college courses offered at their local high schools. For additional details please visit https://www.fdu.edu/about/university-leadership-offices/office-of-enrollment-services/1098t-tax-form-information/


Please check back on our website for New Early College Self-Help Tools coming soon!