Veterans Launching Ventures
About Veterans Launching Ventures (VLV)
Veterans Launching Ventures is a certificate course for veterans and their families who are ready to meet their next challenge, and want to start or grow a business but in need of some guidance. There is a maximum of 50 students in the class. Once the class has been filled, registrants will be placed on a waitlist.
If you’re a veteran, and the idea of being an entrepreneur excites you, Veterans Launching Ventures (VLV) is for you.
Three course options:
- Veterans Launching Ventures (VLV) class: This 9-week course is structured into weekly modules to aid each entrepreneur in writing a comprehensive business plan using the proprietary curriculum of Sakti Kunz. Each student is paired with an experienced consultant to guide them through the course. Topics: Mindfulness, Customer Persona, Operations, Marketing, Financial Forecasting, Accounting and Presentation skills. Students are required to present their business plan to earn the course certificate. Classes are delivered LIVE via Zoom video conferencing. CLASS SIZE IS LIMITED.
Class Time: All classes are at the same time, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. EST/EDT.
Fall 2023 Class Dates:
Tuesdays, October 3, 10, 17, 24
Wednesday, November 1
Tuesdays, November 7, 14, 28
Tuesday, December 5
Registration is closed.
- Coaching: 2-week course designed to encourage and inspire the generation of business ideas and the process of determining the most practical and innovative ones
- Webinar Series: 4-week lecture series focusing on Entrepreneurship, Legal Structure, Building a Team, Operations, Marketing and Finance.
What you will learn from your VLV experience:
- fundamental entrepreneurial skills needed in today’s business environment
- the competencies you need to launch your new business
- how to build a robust marketing plan
- how to develop financial projections for your new business
- how to develop a comprehensive business plan so you can make an informed decision about the feasibility of starting your new business
- sharpen presentation skills
- how to develop an operations plan
- how to develop fundraising strategies
What makes VLV a great opportunity for veterans?
- VLV will give you the skills and support you need to seize entrepreneurial opportunities and launch a small business.
- Veterans enjoy a supportive collegial environment with other veterans.
- Each veteran is matched with his or her own consultant for individual guidance and support during the program. Consultants are successful entrepreneurs themselves.
- Each consultant will continue to assist / guide the veteran for a period of six months following the completion of the course.
What to expect from the course
At the first virtual live session there will be an evening introductory workshop. You will be assigned a consultant, and meet him or her in person. Your consultant will be available for help and consultations throughout the course, and up to ten months after the course ends.
- Virtual live sessions meet from 6 PM to 9 PM.
- Attendance at all sessions is required.
- Access to the use of a computer and internet is required.
- The syllabus is available upon request.
- During the last two weeks of the course, you will finalize your business plan presentations with the assistance of instructors and consultants.
On the final day of the program, students will present their business plans to faculty and consultants.
- The fall session runs from October through December.
- Classes are taught online.
- The spring session runs February to April.
- Classes are taught online.
VLV is generously funded by Bank of America, Jesra Foundation, New Jersey Bankers Charitable Foundation, SCORE and TD Charitable Foundation, and is free to all who successfully complete the requirements.
Veterans Launching Ventures is a course offered by the Rothman Institute of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, part of Silberman College of Business of Fairleigh Dickinson University.
This course is open to veterans and active duty service-persons from all branches of the U.S. military. We also accept applications from the spouse or children of U.S. veterans.
The VLV course is a free course opened to veterans and their families.