Rothman Institute of Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Our vision is to empower people and communities to grow through education.
Helping Entrepreneurs and Innovators Succeed
Part of the Silberman College of Business since 1989, the Rothman Institute supports entrepreneurship and innovation in the academic, business, and nonprofit communities. An outstanding entrepreneurship curriculum taught by an excellent faculty has helped make the academic program among the top 20 in the nation. In addition, our innovative outreach programs help people succeed in their new or growing ventures as well as in their corporations or organizations.
Rothman Institute is proud to partner with Jo Colontonio, Ignite Business Partners on ICF Accredited Executive Coaching Program.
Veterans Launching Ventures
In one semester you can earn a certificate and get the skills needed to launch a new business. U.S. Veterans and their family members can choose from an all-online version or in-person classes on the Florham campus.
- February to March winter session: online course.
- March to May spring semester: 10-week in-person course, Florham Campus.
- October to December fall semester: 10-week in-person course, Florham Campus.
Family Business Alliance
Established in 1992, the Forum is a membership-based program designed to help family firms successfully grow and ensure smooth transitions to the next generation.
- January to April: Three monthly breakfast meetings in the spring semester
- September to December: Three monthly breakfast meetings in the fall semester
- 10 breakfast peer group mentoring sessions per year
- December: Holiday Social
NJ Family Business of the Year Awards
The awards have recognized the state’s finest family businesses since 1992.
- June: Nominations are due.
- October: Awards luncheon.
FDU students pitch their business idea to a panel of judges and compete for cash prizes.
- April: FDUPitch at fdu.edu/fdubizidea
Focus on Small Businesses
New Jersey Small Business Development Center (SBDC). The SBDC is a national network of non-profit assistance centers directly funded through the Small Business Administration (SBA), state partnerships, and their host institutions. We strive to be the premiere no-cost small business consulting resource.
Small Business Series: These workshops run from 8:30 AM to 10:30 PM, covering a variety of business topics presented by professionals and educators. The workshops are free, include breakfast, and are sponsored by local corporations.
- April: free breakfast workshop.
- September: free breakfast workshop.
Annual Lectures and Events
Rothman’s annual events offer an opportunity to enjoy networking with colleagues and to hear from successful businesspersons from the surrounding area.
- March: Distinguished Entrepreneurial Lecture
- April: NJ Female Entrepreneur Lecture at NJ Business Idea Awards Dinner
- October: Women Entrepreneurship Week Panel
- November: Innovation Lecture