BA MSM Sport Management: combined degree
FDU’s innovative Bachelor of Arts and Master of Sport Management (BA/MSM) five-year combined degree program allows students to turn their passion for sports into a career. The sports industry is one of the largest areas of commerce in the United States, producing more than $213 billion annually. Each year, there’s a growing demand among employers for knowledgeable and skilled professionals in this exciting and competitive field. Get ready to jump-start your sports career after earning your Bachelor of Arts in Sport Management plus a Master of Sport Management in just five years!
In this highly personalized, interdisciplinary program, studies in sport management start on the first day of class. Students take sports-related courses plus classes that sharpen their business, information systems, and communications abilities. Courses prepare students for leadership responsibilities in such areas as professional sports administration, facility and event management, sports marketing and communications, athletic administration, advertising and promotion, and coaching.
The BA/MSM combined degree program is offered in-person on both FDU’s Metropolitan Campus in Teaneck and Florham Campus in Madison.
Here are just some of the advantages students find as a BA/MSM major at FDU:
- A great location. Our Metropolitan Campus is just eight miles from New York City, one of the largest sports and athletic markets in the nation. It will become an integral part of your learning experience — with guest speakers, field trips, internships, and more.
- Experience counts. Our networking and internship programs will give you the opportunity for hands-on learning with accomplished sports professionals, teams, and organizations.
- Learning here is personal. With a 15:1 faculty/student ratio and an average class size of 20, your professors will get to know you by name.
- Get career-ready faster. Earning both your bachelor’s and master’s degrees in just five years saves you time and money.
- An education that’s affordable. We work hard to make FDU a smart, affordable college choice for every interested student. The University offers generous scholarships of up to $20,000 a year. And more than four of every five students attending the University receive financial aid and scholarship support.
Program learning outcomes
BA/MSM courses provide theoretical concepts directly related to practical applications. These courses have learning exercises as well as research requirements that generally are applied projects. As an applied program, students are required to demonstrate comprehension of the more abstract components of the course into a research project that can, in principle and reality, be utilized in the workplace
- Communication – A BA/MSM graduate will demonstrate the ability to prepare and deliver effective oral presentations and or write documents that present and evaluate information and opinion in a logical and analytical manner, incorporating research and documentation, and using style, grammar, mechanics, and format appropriate to an educated audience.
- Information Literacy – A BA/MSM graduate will demonstrate the ability to carry out thorough and effective information search strategies using traditional print, digital, and internet sources, evaluate information accessed, and use this information along with existing knowledge to create something new.
- Critical Thinking – A BA/MSM graduate will demonstrate competency in critical thinking that encompasses dimensions of informal logic and ethical analysis.
- Quantitative Literacy – A BA/MSM graduate will demonstrate the ability to analyze and interpret quantitative information.
For students interested in enrolling in the combined BA/MSM program, please contact FDU’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions by phone at 1-800-338-8803 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View required courses and a typical degree plan for BA/MSM students on the Florham Campus.
View required courses and a typical degree plan for BA/MSM students on the Metropolitan Campus.
The BASM-MSM degree combines allows students to combine their love for sports with their interest in business management. With a degree in sport management from FDU, professional opportunities may include leadership and management roles with intramural and community athletic programs, university or college sports programs, and amateur and professional athletic leagues. Being exposed to case studies, discussions and research from BASM classes, students are well-equipped to undertake planning, coordinating, marketing, and budgeting tasks in fields related to sports and recreation.
Careers Choices: Director of Promotions, Sport Agency Representative, General Manager, Sport Analyst, Sport Business Entrepreneur, Athletic Director, Marketing Manager, Fitness club manager, Sports equipment salesperson, Facilities coordinator, Team owner, Sports agency representative, Recreation center manager, Golf course manager, Park superintendent, Tournament director, Compliance officer, General manager, Associate director of marketing, Assistant director of facilities, Director of youth sports, Media relations director, Advertising sales representative, Guest service manager, Ticket manager, Special event promotions manager, Tournament planner, Sports information director, Customer relations director, Sports Networker
Potential Employment Setting: Professional and Minor Leagues, College Athletic Departments, Amateur, Intramural, Club Sport, and Recreation Programs, Private Section Marketing Firms
Internship Sites: Our students have interned at many prestigious sports organizations, including, but not limited to: Madison Square Garden, New York Mets, New York Yankees, Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets, New York Giants, New Jersey Devils, New York Red Bulls, Philadelphia union, and more.