Graduate Certificate: Bilingual/Bicultural Education Specialist Certificate
Available in Classroom or Online
This program is available fully online, providing an opportunity for those whose schedule and/or distance from FDU campuses would otherwise limit their options. Use the AVAILABLE ONLINE button to request information specifically about pursuing Bilingual online program.
Fairleigh Dickinson University’s Online Bilingual/Bicultural Education Certification Program is a 12-credit program covering the essential topics of applied linguistics, language acquisition, biliteracy development, pedagogical theory and teaching methods of content areas in bilingual/bicultural settings. This 12-credit concentration may be applied toward a 36-credit Master of Arts in Education for Certified Teachers (M.A.C.T.) degree and includes the 12 credits required by the New Jersey Department of Education for a second New Jersey certification as a Bilingual/Bicultural educator. Upon completing the program, candidates are eligible for state certification to teach Bilingual Education in P-12 schools.
This is a fully online program that candidates can complete from any location in 2-3 consecutive semesters. Candidates who are interested in also obtaining their ESL Certificate only need to complete three more courses to obtain both certificates.
The New Jersey Department of Education requires a demonstration of oral and written language proficiency in English and the target language for Bilingual certification. Students meet this requirement by taking the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and the Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) in English through Language Testing International at http://www.languagetesting.com/acad_nj1.cfm.
- Evidence of a standard or CEAS New Jersey teaching certificate in an instructional area (excluding world languages).
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework showing a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA from an accredited college or university.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your recent professional practice (e.g., supervisor, administrator, teacher, university professor).
Required Courses (18 credits)
Second New Jersey Certification in ESL (18 credits)
- EDUC6550 Methodology in Bilingual/Bicultural Education
- EDUC6551 Language Acquisition in Bilingual/Bicultural Contexts
- EDUC6574 Applied Linguistics for Language Teachers
- EDUC6654 Literacy Development for Second Language Learners