Teaching English as a Second Language MAT
English as a Second Language is one of the highest needs areas in New Jersey.
Candidates pursuing certification to teach ESL must have a bachelor’s degree with at least 30 credits in a coherent sequence of courses in the subject area to be taught (e.g., mathematics, social studies, chemistry, biology, etc.) or in the discipline taught;
- Pass the Praxis I Core Academic Skills for Educators exams (5713, 5723, 5733);
- Pass the Oral Proficiency Exam (OPI) and Written Proficiency Test (WPT)
- Complete the required courses and credits in an approved teacher certification program with a cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher;
NOTE: Certification requirements often change. For the most up-to-date information about requirements, please visit the New Jersey Department of Education website.
Candidates for New Jersey Certification and/or the Master of Arts in Teaching are responsible for working collaboratively with their SOE faculty advisers, following the approved plan of courses, meeting all program requirements, and maintaining good academic standing per New Jersey Department of Education, School of Education, and Fairleigh Dickinson University policies.
Required Courses for Certification (27 credits)
- EDUC6835 Effective Teaching and Effective Schools
- EDUC 6661 Multicultural Classroom
- EDUC 6654 Literacy Development for Second-language Learners
- EDUC6631 Assessment in the Second-language Classroom
- EDUC 6565 Second Language Acquisition: Methods and Curriculum
- EDUC6824 Teaching Laboratory and Field Experience I
- EDUC6828 Teaching Laboratory and Field Experience II
- EDUC6583 Advanced Clinical Practice
- EDUC6575 Apprenticeship Teaching
- EDUC6825 Apprenticeship Teaching Seminar
Additional Courses required to complete MAT degree (10 credits)
- EDUC6740 Introduction to Students with Disabilities and Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- EDUC6584 Computers as a Teacher’s Aid
- EDUC7812 Final Project: Applied Research (or)
- EDUC7718 Final Project: Second Language Acquisition
At this time, there is no Praxis II required for ESL certification. However, ESL teachers must take and pass the Oral Proficiency Inventory (OPI) and the Written Proficiency Test (WPT) in English. Your MAT advisor will give your further information on these exams.
We encourage our candidates to add additional certifications in special education, or in bilingual education.