Federal Programs and Grants

There are a variety of need-based federally funded financial aid programs, including Pell and SEOG grants, Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Veterans’ Educational Benefits, as well as Work Study Programs. To be eligible for any of these programs, students must be matriculated, maintain satisfactory academic progress, and file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by February 15 for new students and April 15 for returning students every year. Each of the federal programs available at the University is detailed below.

Federal Grant Programs

Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant is federal gift assistance that does not need to be repaid. Undergraduate students enrolled for a minimum of three credits per semester may be eligible. Eligibility is determined upon data received from the FAFSA application. Grants range from $672 to $6,495 per academic year.

Federal Supplemental Educations Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

An FSEOG is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need — that is, students with the lowest EFCs — and gives priority to students who receive Federal Pell Grants. An FSEOG doesn’t have to be paid back. A student must be registered for a minimum of six credits per semester. FSEOG awards usually range from $200 to $750 per academic year.

Federal Scholarship for Disadvantaged Nursing Students (FSDS Grant)

The FSDS grant is for “economically disadvantaged” students matriculated in the Fairleigh Dickinson University nursing program. Students may be enrolled part-time; however, he/she must demonstrate tremendous need via the information supplied on the FAFSA. For additional information, please contact the director of the School of Nursing and Allied Health.

Federal TEACH Grant

The TEACH (Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education) Grant is a merit-based federal program designed to encourage highly qualified teachers to serve in low-income areas in high-need fields. Grant recipients agree to teach for at least four (4) years (within eight years of finishing their teacher preparation program) in designated schools that serve low-income students. Teaching must be performed in a high-need field within the state in which the recipient teaches to satisfy the service requirement. The grant converts to an unsubsidized loan for any recipient that does not complete the four (4) year teaching obligation. Interest is calculated to the date funds were originally disbursed, regardless of the date the individual ceases to meet the obligation. Students who apply for the grant must complete and sign an application/agreement in addition to filing the FAFSA.

Federal Work Programs

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) provides jobs for undergraduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. Students awarded funds may be assigned positions either on campus or off campus at cooperating nonprofit community service agencies.

Annual awards usually range from $750 to $1,600. Federal Work Study positions are coordinated and processed by the Office of Career Development on each campus.

A Federal Work Study student may not work more than 20 hours per week and no more than seven hours in one day. Students are paid biweekly. Students are required to work with their manager to ensure they have not earned dollars exceeding their annual award. Students who have earned more than 50% of their annual award by the close of the Fall semester are encouraged to modify their hours or consult with their Financial Aid Counselor about the possibility of increasing their FWS award.

Federal Veterans’ Educational Assistance Programs

Post-9/11 G.I. Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. This program will pay eligible individuals:

  • Tuition and fees directly to the school not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition and fees at a public Institution of Higher Learning.
  • A monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school.
  • An annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.
  • A one-time rural benefit payment for eligible individuals (see comparison chart for more information).

For more information about the Post-9/11 GI Bill, please visit this website: http://www.gibill.va.gov

Yellow Ribbon Program

Fairleigh Dickinson University is proud to participate in the Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program which will allow any eligible veteran to enroll in any FDU undergraduate or graduate program for little or no cost. Only individuals entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) may receive this funding. Therefore, you may be eligible if:

  • You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months;
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001;
  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.

For more information about the Yellow Ribbon Program, please visit the website.

The Montgomery G.I. Bill

As provided under Chapter 30 of the Montgomery GI Bill, students that entered the military after June 30, 1985, are eligible for educational benefits if the elected to reduce their monthly salary by $100 for the first 12 months of active duty. Monthly allowances are paid by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs directly to the student/veteran based upon the number of credits for which the student has enrolled during a given semester. Payment for tuition to the University is the responsibility of the student. In addition to the University registration forms, veteran students must complete a Veteran Program Card at the beginning of each semester.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation

The VA Vocational Rehabilitation Bill – Chapter 31 incurs the cost of tuition, fees and books. Eligible veterans must apply directly with Richard Manus of the Department of Veteran’s Administration.

20 Washington Place, Second Floor

Newark, NJ 07102

Other Veterans’ Administration Educational Benefits

Additional Veterans’ Educational Benefits are available for the dependents and widows of veterans that die of service-related causes. Individuals in the Selected Reserve (Chapter 106) and those that contributed to the Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP-Chapter 32) also may be eligible for VA educational benefits. For additional information regarding Veterans’ Educational Benefits, contact the State of New Jersey Department of Military and Veteran Affairs State Approving Agency.

PO Box 340, Eggert Crossing Road

Trenton, NJ 08625

Federal Loan Programs

Federal Direct Student Loans

Eligibility for a Direct Federal Subsidized or Unsubsidized loan is based upon ‘need’ as determined by the information submitted on the FAFSA. Undergraduate borrower limits for Federal Direct Loans are as follows:

  • $3,500.00 Subsidized + $2,000.00 Unsubsidized for Dependent Freshmen
  • $3,500.00 Subsidized + $6,000.00 Unsubsidized for Independent Freshman
  • $4,500.00 Subsidized + $2,000.00 for Unsubsidized for Dependent Sophomores
  • $4,500.00 Subsidized +$6,000.00 for Unsubsidized for Independent Sophomores
  • $5,500.00 Subsidized + $2,000.00 for Unsubsidized for Dependent Juniors & Seniors
  • $5,500.00 Subsidized +$6,000.00 for Unsubsidized for Independent Juniors & Seniors

The cumulative aggregate Federal Direct Loan debt an undergraduate dependent student may incur is $31,000.00 – no more than $23,000 may be from the Direct Subsidized Loan program. The cumulative aggregate Federal Direct Loan debt an independent student may incur is $57,500 – no more than $23,000 from the Direct Subsidized Loan program.

Students must complete Loan Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) prior to borrowing at studentaid.gov/. The Loan Entrance Counseling provides required information about a borrower’s rights and responsibilities.

Subsidized Federal Direct Loans

“Interest free” while the student is enrolled at least half-time (6 credits). Students are required to begin repayment six months after leaving school or dropping below six credits. The interest rate is fixed at 4.99% and there is a 1.057% loan fee taken at the time of disbursement. (Interest rates stated are for loans disbursed on or After July 1, 2022).

Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans

Available to students who do not qualify for a Subsidized Stafford loan or are eligible for loan funds in addition to their subsidized eligibility. However, students are responsible for the interest on the loan while enrolled in school. Students may choose to have the interest capitalized. The interest rate is fixed at 4.99% and there is a 1.057% loan fee taken at the time of disbursement. (Interest rates stated are for loans disbursed on or After July 1, 2022). 

More information about the Federal Direct Loan Program, including repayment plans, calculators, and rights and responsibilities may be found online: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/

Federal PLUS Loan Program

The Federal Direct PLUS Loan is a credit-based loan program for the parent or guardian of the undergraduate student. Parents of matriculated students enrolled at least halftime (6 credits) may borrow up to the cost of education less any other financial aid received by the student per academic year. Repayment of the PLUS Loan begins 60 days after disbursement of the funds to the University. Parents have up to 10 years to repay the loan with a minimum payment of $50 per month.

To be eligible for a Federal Direct PLUS loan, the student must file the FAFSA and the parent (as well as the student) may not be in default on his/her federal student loans. Pre-qualification can be determined when a parent applies via studentaid.gov/. Credit decisions will expire after 180 days.

The Federal Direct PLUS Loan has a fixed interest rate of 7.54% and a loan fee of 4.228% is taken at the time of disbursement. (Interest rates stated are for loans disbursed on or After July 1, 2022). 

In the event a parent is denied a PLUS loan, they may elect to apply with an endorser or the student may receive additional unsubsidized loan proceeds.

NOTE: Loan data for any Federal Perkins and Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and PLUS) is submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and is then accessible by guarantee agencies, lenders, and institutions determined to be authorized users of the system.

The National Student Loan Data System may be accessed at https://studentaid.gov.

Federal Nursing Loan Program

Students in the School or Nursing and Public Health may be eligible for one of two Federal Student Loan Programs for student nurses.  If you are an FDU student interested in either of these loan programs, you must file a FAFSA.  Contact SNAH-HRSA@fdu.edu if you are interested.

Nursing Student Loans (NSL) 

This federal loan program is available to students pursuing a degree in nursing and who are enrolled at least half-time.  The NSL is a need-based, subsidized loan with a 9-month grace period. The program offers low-interest rate loans (5%) to students who may borrow an annual maximum of ~$7500. Funding is limited and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.

Nurse Faculty Loan Program (NFLP) 

This federal loan program is available to graduate students who have a goal of teaching nursing at the college level upon degree completion.  There is a service payback commitment of teaching for 4 years within 12 months following graduation. The service obligation results in the cancellation of 85% of the loan. Funding is limited and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.