Requesting a Roommate
Incoming first-year students will receive information for how to request their roommate for the 2021-2022 academic year in June. Students will have the opportunity to meet each other during Orientation or through the roommate search period which will happen later in the summer.
Steps for Requesting a Roommate
- Log-in to MyHousing.
- Under the “Room Selection” tab, select “Roommates/Suitemates”.
- On the same screen, at the pull-down menu for “Select A Term”.
- You will be able to perform a “Simple Roommate Search” or an “Advanced Roommate Search”:
- Simple Roommate Search – You have a specific person you would like to request as your roommate. Enter their first name, last name, or FDU email address to search for them in MyHousing.
- Advanced Roommate Search (recommended if you don’t have a roommate in mind) – You are interested in searching the database for other students with the first name “XXXXXX”, last name “XXXXXX”, based on their Current Major, or preferences they indicated on their housing application related to Study Environment, Sharing, Music or Smoking.
- Example 1: If you enter the following information and conduct a search, a list will be generated of all biology majors named Pierce who are non-smokers: First Name: Pierce Major: Biology Smoking Preference: A non-smoker
- Example 2: If you only select Psychology in the “Academic Major” section, a list will be generated of all psychology majors.
Note: Only students who submitted a Housing Application and their $350 residence hall deposit by the April 1, 2018 deadline will be searchable.
- If you conduct an “Advanced Roommate Search”, each student that appears in your search results will yield the below information. When you are ready to submit your request, in the “Options” section, if you click “Request This Student”, the student will receive a notification that you have requested them:
- Other Attributes
- Brief Profile
Note: The following message will appear if you are the first person in your group making the
“You have an unmatched roommate group.”
- If you receive a roommate request from another student, the following options will appear and you will be prompted to “Accept/Decline Pending Roommate Requests”.Once you have made a decision, please select “Decline” or “Confirm”:
- Confirm (Accept)
- View Profile
- Send Message
Note: The following message will appear once you accept a roommate request from another student or your requested roommate accepts your request.
“Your roommate group is fully matched.”
Can’t find a roommate but want one?
Students who do not have a roommate in mind can take advantage of the Advanced Roommate Search feature (instructions above). When using the Advanced Search feature sometimes less is more. If you are too specific in your search criteria, it may lead to you not receiving any matches. A better strategy is to start out by selecting a few attributes and then scanning those results to find a match.
In addition to the advanced search, students should create their roommate profile to describe themselves, the type of roommate they are or are looking for, and where they would like to live on campus. (i.e. “I like video games. I am very neat. I want to live in a Village suite.”). To create your profile, select the “Personal Information” tab in the main menu of your MyHousing Portal and select “Roommate Profile” from the drop down menu.
A student can elect to not have their name show up in Advanced Roommate searching if they change their profile to private. To make your profile private in MyHousing select “Personal Preferences” Under the “Make Profile Private” box, select YES and click on “Submit My Personal Profile”. Please be aware that if you send a roommate request to a student, they will still be able to view your profile even if you have it marked private. You can also update your profile to provide other information about yourself.
Returning Students will be able to conduct a roommate search, and request their roommate using the same instructions as above.