Applying for Academic Adjustments and/or Accommodations
Students with documented disabilities should submit their application and supporting documentation to the Office of Disability Support Services in a timely fashion. Students may begin the process of applying for adjustments/accommodations at any point during their time at FDU.
For students new to FDU or for existing students who wish to apply for adjustments/accommodations, applications and documentation must be submitted by the following dates to allow a reasonable timeframe to accurately assess and approve adjustments/accommodations before the first day of classes:
- Fall Semester: July 1st
- Spring Semester: January 2nd
To apply for academic adjustments/accommodations, eligible students will follow these steps:
Step 1: Complete and Submit an Online Application
- Visit the Metropolitan Campus DSS page.
- Select “New Students Apply for Disability Support”
- Follow the instructions to complete the online application and submit.
Step 2: Submit Supporting Documentation
Students must submit a copy of their most recent diagnostic evaluation(s) to the Office of Disability Support Services.
Note: While IEP and 504 Plans from high school are sometimes helpful, they are not always sufficient documentation of a disability.
Students can submit their documentation by uploading it to the secure online portal (myDSS), mailing it, or faxing it to the DSS office.
- To upload documentation to myDSS please use the file upload link that was emailed to the student after completing the online application. This link will be sent to the email address provided in the application.
- Mail documentation to the following address:
Office of Disability Support Services
Fairleigh Dickinson University
1000 River Road, T-RH5-03
Teaneck, NJ 07666
- Fax documentation to (201) 692-2425
Once applications are completed (i.e., an online application accompanied by supporting documentation) they will be reviewed by the Office of Disability Support Services.
For more information about documentation, visit the Documentation page.
Step 3: Receive Notification of Decision
The Office of Disability Support Services’ determination of academic adjustments/accommodations will be based on the documentation provided by students.
Once approved, a staff member of Disability Support Services will contact the student and schedule a meeting to discuss the next steps regarding the implementation of approved adjustments/accommodations.
Step 4: Submit a Request for Accommodation Letters to Be Sent to Professors
Students are responsible for requesting accommodation letters. Students will login to myDSS to request that their letters of accommodation(s) be sent to their professors. Once the request has been submitted, the Office of Disability Support Services will send the student’s professors an electronic copy of the approved accommodation letter(s).
- Accommodation letters do not disclose details of the student’s disability.
- Academic adjustments/accommodations will not be provided until the professor receives the accommodation letters.
- Adjustments/accommodations generally are not retroactive.
Step 5: Monitor Progress and Contact DSS for Further Assistance
As the semester progresses, it is the student’s responsibility to monitor their academic progress. If students require additional assistance with their adjustments/accommodations, contact the Office of Disability Support Services immediately.
If students require academic assistance or additional support services beyond what the Office of Disability Support Services provides, contact the office for a referral to the appropriate campus resources.
Step 6: Future Semesters
Students will not need to reapply for services each semester but must submit a request for accommodation letters to be sent to professors:
- Visit the main Metropolitan DSS page.
- Click on “Log Into MYDSS.”
- Select the courses to obtain accommodation letters based on previously approved accommodations/adjustments.
- Select the adjustments/accommodations to have included in each letter of accommodation based on previously approved accommodations/adjustments.
- Submit the request.
Once the request has been submitted, the Office of Disability Support Services will send an electronic copy of approved accommodation letter(s) to the student’s professors. Students seeking to make changes to their academic adjustments/accommodations must contact the office at (201) 692-2078.