Change of Status to F-1

What does it mean to change status to F-1?

When a person changes status to F-1, they intend to pursue full time studies in the United States.  In general, non-immigrants maintaining legal status can apply for the change of status to F-1, but there are some exceptions. Please inquire at the Office of International Student Services (ISS).

Some things to consider

To apply for Change of Status your current non-immigrant status must be valid at the time the application is received by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and continue to be valid up until the date the F-1 status is requested to begin. If your non-immigrant status has already expired, a change to F-1 will be extremely difficult in the US.

If USCIS determines that the Change of Status would be approved more than 30 days in advance of the program start date, the application may be denied. It is recommended that you set up an appointment with an ISS advisor to discuss the application process and timing issues related to Change of Status.

While F-2, B-1 and B-2 visa holders may apply for a change of status to F-1 student visa, these individuals may not enroll in classes until the change of status to F-1 has been approved.

What do I need to do to apply for Change of Status?

Review the information and instructions in the Change of Status packet. Then submit the application and documentation, as stated in the packet, to the Office of International Student Services (ISS). We will look over the application and process the paperwork. Once your paperwork is completed we will create a packet for you to mail to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) via certified return receipt mail. Address and other mailing information will be provided. You can either pick up a Change of Status packet in ISS or download it by clicking below:

Change of Status Packet

It is recommended that you meet with an International Student Advisor in the Office of International Student Services before you begin the Change of Status process.  You can make an appointment to speak with an advisor by calling the following phone numbers.