If you wish to transfer your F-1 SEVIS record from Fairleigh Dickinson University to a new institution of study, you must submit a request to transfer your SEVIS record. Please review the guidelines below to learn more about the transfer process.
Transfer process for current students:
- All students must schedule an appointment to speak with an ISS Advisor to discuss the transfer out procedure and understand all immigration rules regarding transfer.
- FOR your appointment, please bring: the letter of admission from the institution you wish to attend (this letter must be on institution letter head and include your full name, date you will begin at your new school, and contact information for your new school)
- DURING your appointment, you will: complete the Transfer Out Request Form, Transfer Out Agreement and Withdrawal Form.
- AFTER your appointment, you will: obtain all appropriate departmental signatures- the withdrawal form will be given to you after all required transfer paperwork is submitted to ISS.
- Any questions or concerns should be addressed prior to the SEVIS release date to avoid any problems.
It is critical that you maintain your F-1 status with FDU up until the SEVIS release date. Currently enrolled students should continue to maintain full time study and enrollment up until the approved SEVIS release date.
Transfer process for students on OPT, STEM, and graduated students:
- Students may schedule an appointment in person or by phone to speak with an ISS Advisor to discuss the transfer out procedure and understand all immigration rules regarding transfer. Any questions or concerns should be addressed prior to the SEVIS release date to avoid any problems.
- Submit the letter of admission from the institution you wish to attend (this letter must be on institution letterhead and include your full name, date you will begin at your new school, and contact information for your new school). This may be done in person or by emailing email@example.com.
- Once an advisor has reviewed your transfer request, you will receive the Transfer Out Request Form and Transfer Out Agreement to be completed and signed.
- For OPT/STEM students, please ensure that your SEVP Portal details are accurate and up to date. STEM students may be required to submit an I-983 Final Evaluation.
Transfer process for Initial/New students:
- If you are an initial/new student to FDU and have not yet enrolled, an initial transfer to another US institution will be considered by the Office of International Student Services at FDU only after submission of all required documentation.
- Required Documentation – You must email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Statement of request for transfer
- FDU I-20
- Passport biographical page, Visa, I-94 entry document or stamp
- Letter of admission from the new school (Note: this letter must be on institution letterhead and include your full name, date you will begin at your new school, and contact information for your new school, The new institution start date must be within 30 days of the date of entry to the United States to be eligible for initial transfer.)
- All documents must be submitted prior to the program start date on the FDU I-20. Initial/New students requesting to transfer after the FDU program start date on the FDU I-20 will not be able to transfer in initial status.
- After submitting the required documents, you will be emailed an Initial Transfer Request Form to complete. This will need to be completed and scanned back in order to complete the process. Please note all transfers will be reviewed for eligibility and will take 5 to 7 business days to process. In person requests, phone requests, or faxed requests will not be considered. The initial student transfer request must be made via email by the student whose name is on the I-20.