Director, School of Psychology and Counseling
Associate Professor of Psychology
School of Psychology and Counseling
- Research Methods (undergraduate)
- Cognitive Psychology (undergraduate)
- Teaching Seminar (graduate)
- Learning, Cognition, and Emotion (graduate)
- Biological Basis of Behavior (graduate)
I am currently involved in four separate but related lines of research:
1) Examining attitudes toward mental health services and peers in mental health distress for military veterans and the general public (collaboration with Dr. Stefanie Ulrich).
2) Examining the relationship between sleep, executive functions, and theory of mind in childhood (collaboration with Drs. McGlinchey and DeNigris).
3) Examining higher-order cognition, with a special interest in the relationship between attention, inhibition, and working memory.
4) Examining the construct of empathy and effective practices in empathy training with a focus on long-term organizational change to a common language and culture of empathy.
- BA, Valparaiso University
- MA, University of Kentucky
- PhD, University of Kentucky
I am the Director of the School of Psychology and Counseling and have served as the Director since the Summer of 2020. I joined the faculty in the Fall of 2011.
As co-founder of FDU’s Center for Empathy Research and Training (CERT), I provide training and research on the importance of empathy and the skills necessary to interact from the perspective of empathy.
I have represented FDU at the United Nations since 2013. In this role, I have served as an Executive Committee member of the NGO Committee on the Family-New York. I organize trips to the United Nations for our students for International Days and Commissions. I regularly attend the Commission on the Status of Women, Psychology Day at the UN, and International Day of the Family.
Important Note: Faculty profiles may include links to one or more non-FDU websites, including websites self-maintained by faculty to provide additional information about their publications, scholarly pursuits, and other information of interest. If you click on these links, you will be leaving the FDU-maintained website and will be directed to a site that is not under the control of FDU. FDU is not responsible for the content or accessibility of linked non-FDU websites. If, however, you experience a problem with the content or accessibility of a linked website, please contact us using the information on our Accessibility page.