The Francis J. and Gail Williams Mertz Scholarship Fund, established in 1999, provides financial support to academically talented students from select New Jersey high schools who are pursuing undergraduate studies at Fairleigh Dickinson University.
The scholarship aids deserving students with the potential to serve in leadership positions as global citizens, by making a Fairleigh Dickinson University education more affordable.
Francis J. Mertz, President Emeritus of Fairleigh Dickinson University, served as president from 1990 until his retirement in 1999. Under his vision and leadership, the University experienced an academic and financial renewal that produced a new University-wide vitality and enhanced educational experience.
Lifelong residents of New Jersey, the Mertzes have been committed to independent higher education. The Francis J. and Gail W. Mertz Scholarship was established in recognition of their demonstrated concern and caring for students.
- Individual awards for the Francis J. and Gail W. Mertz Scholarship can range up to $7,500, based on each applicant’s strengths and financial needs.
- The number of scholarships awarded each year varies.
- Provided all other qualifications are met, the award may be adjusted annually to reflect the cost of attendance.
You are eligible for a Francis J. and Gail W. Mertz Scholarship if you are in the senior class of one of the following New Jersey high schools. The Mertz family shares a connection with each school.
- Academy of Saint Elizabeth – Morristown, NJ
- Delbarton School – Morristown, NJ
- Mount St. Mary’s Academy –Watchung, NJ
- Oratory Prep – Summit, NJ
- Paramus Catholic High School – Paramus, NJ
- St. Benedict’s Prep – Newark, NJ
- St. Peter’s Prep – Jersey City, NJ
- St. Vincent’s Academy – Newark, NJ
In addition, students who apply for a Francis J. and Gail W. Mertz scholarship must:
- Apply to and plan to enroll as a full-time student at either
Fairleigh Dickinson University’s Florham Campus (Madison, NJ)
or Metropolitan Campus (Teaneck, NJ)
- Demonstrate leadership potential
- Demonstrate public service/community involvement
- Have a record of academic achievement
Students who receive a Francis J. and Gail W. Mertz Scholarship may also be reviewed for other academic scholarships offered by Fairleigh Dickinson University.
How to Apply
To be considered for a Francis J. and Gail W. Mertz Scholarship, students must:
Submit the following materials by Wednesday, January 31:
- FDU Application for Admission
- Francis J. and Gail W. Mertz Scholarship Application
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at studentaid.gov.
Final candidates will be interviewed in the spring, selected on the basis of academic ability and a variety of leadership roles in school, social or community activities. Scholarship candidates are selected by representatives of the University, along with members of the Mertz family.
Scholarship Renewal Criteria
The Francis J. and Gail W. Mertz Scholarship is renewable each year, provided the student maintains a 3.0 GPA while completing a minimum of 24 credits per academic year. Scholarship recipients are also expected to be actively involved in the campus and/or community. Final determination of scholarship renewal will be made by the scholarship committee during an annual review.
Candidates who are not initially awarded the Mertz Scholarship can become eligible for the scholarship if they enroll at Fairleigh Dickinson as freshmen and show strong academic performance during their freshman year.