Associate Director, International School of Hospitality, Sports, & Tourism Management,
Associate Professor of Hospitality & Tourism Management,
- Services Management (Graduate Field Course)
- Understanding Hospitality & Tourism in BC & Beyond (Undergraduate Field Course)
- Special Events & Festival Management
- Research Methodology I (Qualitative & Research Writing)
- Research Methodology II (Quantitative)
- Special Project/Thesis
- MHMS Comprehensive Exams
- Resident Perceptions of Tourism; Values-based Tourism Management
- Sustainable hospitality and, festival and event tourism/management (specializing in arts & music festival management)
- 2SLGBTQ+ tourism and festival management
- Craft beer/wine tourism
- Outdoor, sport, and recreation-based tourism
- BS, Geography, University of Georgia
- MEd, Sport Management, University of Georgia
- MNR, Natural Resource Recreation and Tourism, University of Georgia
- PhD, Tourism Management, Clemson University
Dr. Bachman is an Associate Professor in Hospitality and Tourism Management at the International School of Hospitality, Sports, and Tourism Management (ISHSTM) on the Vancouver campus of FDU. He is also the Associate Director of ISHSTM and is an elected member of FDU’s Faculty Senate and its Executive Committee. In addition, Dr. Bachman is a Scholar-in-Residence at Destination British Columbia (BC), the Crown Corporation/Destination Marketing Organisation in BC responsible for marketing and managing tourism for BC.
Dr. Bachman received his Ph.D. in Tourism Management from Clemson University, and his Master of Education in Sport Management, Master of Natural Resource Recreation and Tourism, and Bachelor of Science degrees from the University of Georgia. Prior to joining FDU in 2016, he was the Lead Faculty of the Bachelor of Science program in Sustainable Hospitality Management at California State Univ. in Monterey Bay.
His academic research has recently been published in Event Management, the International Journal of Tourism Research, the Journal of Foodservice Business Research, Tourism Analysis, and ICHRIE Research Reports. Dr. Bachman serves as a member of the Editorial Board of Event Management, Journal of Convention & Event Tourism, and the FDU Press.
Dr. Bachman’s professional experience includes the University of Georgia Athletic Association, PGA Tour, Town of Breckenridge (USA), and Looking Glass Strategic Research Consultants (LGSRC).
Residing in Vancouver, Canada, Dr. Bachman serves as the Scholarship Committee Chair and member of the Industry Advisory Board for the British Columbia Hospitality Foundation (BCHF). He is an avid traveler, hiker, Nordic skier, and sports fan. He completed the 2,178-mile Appalachian Trail in five months in 2008 and can be found hiking/skiing the trails in the greater Vancouver area, traveling to one of the beautiful towns around BC, or attending a festival or event in the local area.
Important Note: Faculty profiles may include links to one or more non-FDU websites, including websites self-maintained by faculty to provide additional information about their publications, scholarly pursuits, and other information of interest. If you click on these links, you will be leaving the FDU-maintained website and will be directed to a site that is not under the control of FDU. FDU is not responsible for the content or accessibility of linked non-FDU websites. If, however, you experience a problem with the content or accessibility of a linked website, please contact us using the information on our Accessibility page.