There was a time when Fairleigh Dickinson University only existed as the improbable dream of a visionary man. Against all odds, our founder and first president, Peter Sammartino – along with his talented wife Sylvia – drew on this dream to lay the foundation for what is today New Jersey’s largest private university and an institution with global impact and scope.
In honor of the life and work of this remarkable couple – and to encourage their legacy of passion for excellence in education – Fairleigh Dickinson University is pleased to announce a scholarship opportunity for students in our QUEST Teacher Preparation Program. This acclaimed program leads to both a bachelor’s degree and Master of Teaching (MAT) in just five years.
You are eligible to apply for a Peter and Sylvia Sammartino Scholarship if you are an incoming first year Fairleigh Dickinson University student enrolled in the QUEST program.
Fairleigh Dickinson strongly considers choosing Peter and Sylvia Sammartino Scholars who:
- Have been accepted to FDU’s QUEST 5-year program and plan to attend as a full-time student at either the Florham Campus (Madison, NJ) or Metropolitan Campus (Teaneck, NJ) of Fairleigh Dickinson University
- Demonstrate leadership potential and a passion for education
- Demonstrate public service/community involvement
- Have a record of academic achievement
Students who receive a Peter and Sylvia Sammartino Scholarship may also be reviewed for other academic scholarships offered by Fairleigh Dickinson University.
The Peter and Sylvia Sammartino scholarship is a five (5) year, renewable merit award. This scholarship will be awarded to qualified first-year freshmen admitted to the QUEST Program who have demonstrated academic achievement and possess a strong commitment to the teaching profession.
The Peter and Sylvia Sammartino Scholarship benefits include:
- Renewable 5 years per enrollment in FDU’s 5-year QUEST program
- Scholarships average $5,000
- Potential for scholarship increase per yearly review by Sammartino Trustee
How to Apply for the Scholarship
To be considered for a Peter and Sylvia Sammartino Scholarship, you must submit the following:
- The Peter and Sylvia Sammartino Scholarship Application by Monday, February 12, 2024.
- Activities List / Resume
- Financial Aid Release Form by Thursday February 15, 2024. (This will be provided to students after submitting their Sammartino Application).
Candidates are selected based on academic ability and a variety of leadership roles in school, social or community activities by the Sammartino Trustee during scholarship application review.
It is recommended that applicants complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by Monday, February 12, 2024. FDU’s FAFSA Code is 002607.
Scholarship Renewability Criteria
The Peter and Sylvia Sammartino Scholarship is renewable each year, for 5 years, provided the student maintains full-time enrollment in the QUEST program and achieves a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 at the end of each academic year. Final determination of scholarship renewal will be made by the Sammartino Trustee during an annual review. Scholarship amount has potential to increase each year pending academic performance.