Before Admission


Military Separation/Discharge Papers

A Report of Separation is issued upon completion of at least 90 consecutive days of active duty service in the military, and is needed to verify military service for educational benefits. It is important to retain this document for your records because requesting a duplicate from the VA may take longer than expected. If you do not have your Discharge Papers, use this link to request them

VA Educational Benefits

To begin the process, you must apply for VA education benefits with the Veterans Administration online (preferable) or obtain a hard copy of the application form (VA Form 22-1990) that can be processed and mailed to the VA Regional Processing Office at:

130 South Elmwood Ave

Buffalo, NY 14202

The VA will issue a Certificate of Eligibility; attendance must be verified by FDU initially, and each semester thereafter.

Financial Aid

In addition to your VA Educational Benefits, you may be eligible for a variety of need- and merit-based financial aid, as well as subsidized student loans. To be considered for federal or state financial aid, you must first complete the FAFSA or Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The Financial Aid Office at FDU will “package” all of your VA Educational Benefits and other sources of financial aid. You will be responsible for any uncovered portion of tuition and fees. IMPORTANT: When completing the FAFSA, VA Educational Benefits do NOT count toward your claimed income. You can complete the FAFSA online:

FDU Admissions Application

For FDU Undergraduate Programs of Study, veterans can apply at the University’s undergraduate admissions pages. Applicants interested in FDU Graduate Programs of Study can access general and special application forms for graduate study. An Application Fee is required but will be reimbursed to the veteran.

Request Military and College Transcripts

Arrange for your official military transcripts, and official transcripts from colleges previously attended (if any) to be sent to FDU as soon as possible and contact the OVS to confirm receipt. You can request Army, Navy/Marine, Air Force, or Coast Guard transcripts here. These transcripts will be evaluated by FDU; credits may be awarded for some previous educational experiences. An FDU Checksheet will be prepared identifying credits transferred and courses required in the first semester for your program of study. Please refer to Advising Contacts for contact information.

Veterans Education at Fairleigh Dickinson University

As a military veteran, you are joining men and women who are pursuing undergraduate and advanced degrees at FDU. To help you prepare for the upcoming semester, we have included checklists to assist you in gaining admission and registering for courses – these checklists are important. We’ve also included a list of important phone numbers and websites, as well as policies and useful information.

Should you have any questions, please contact us.

Contact Information

Office of Veterans Services

(201) 692-7085
140 University Plaza Drive
Dickinson Hall, Ground Floor, Room # 1159
1000 River Road, H-DH1-06
Teaneck, New Jersey 07666