Winter Safety Tips
From the Department of Public Safety, Florham Campus
Walking on ice and snow can be challenging. Snow and icy conditions accounts for many slips and falls during inclement weather. There are ways to ensure safety by noting the following safety tips;
- Plan ahead! Give yourself time to prepare for the weather. Know what to expect and prepare.
- Wear proper footwear, walk consciously and anticipate your steps. Wear a heavy treaded shoe with a flat bottom.
- During hours of darkness, wear a bright coat or scarf to be easily seen. During daylight hours wear sunglasses.
- Be aware of black ice and approach with caution. Chances are that ice will appear in the morning before the sun rises. Sun will melt and freezes again at night causing icy conditions. Black ice can be deceiving as it is common to mistake it for a wet surface.
- Place your entire foot on the surface of the ground.
- Walk slowly, hold on to hand railings when walking on steps; secure your feet firmly on each step. There is no need to rush, especially if you plan ahead!
- Be aware of your surroundings when walking in an icy or snowy condition.
- When entering a building, be careful because your shoes may be wet and can cause you to slip or fall.
- Be alert while walking on ice and snow.