Applying for a Canadian Student Study Permit

After you receive your letter of admission to Fairleigh Dickinson University, you should begin the process of applying for your Student Permit. To study in Canada, you must obtain a Study Permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada. We recommend you apply early! In some cases, processing of Study Permits can take up to six months. Contact your closest Canadian Embassy or Consulate for more information about processing times, and possible deadlines for study abroad applications.

You will need the following documents to apply for a Study Permit:

  • A valid passport. We recommend that your passport be valid the entire length of your academic program.
  • Your original letter of acceptance from Fairleigh Dickinson University.
  • Financial documentation to show how you will pay for tuition and living expenses for a minimum of one year. We recommend you provide a bank letter in your name or the name of your sponsor. If you have a sponsor, we recommend you also bring an affidavit of financial support. This document must be signed by your sponsor (the person whose name is on the bank statement) and must be stamped by a notary public. If you have been awarded a scholarship from Fairleigh Dickinson University, we highly recommend you provide the original award letter as additional proof of financial support.

Please remember to request that your Study Permit be granted for the entire length of your degree program. Requesting an extension of your Permit in Canada does require a processing fee.

To apply for a Canadian Study Permit, please follow this link:  How to apply for a Canadian Study Permit.