Adjunct Hire Process
This web page will assist departments with hiring new adjuncts (part-time faculty). Please note that adjuncts are limited to teaching a maximum of 9 credits in a regular semester, 6 credits in a short-term semester, and cannot exceed a total of 22 credits in a 12-month period. [See Adjunct Limitation Policy.]
All departments must initiate a Notification of Part Time Teaching. This is the contract used to engage an adjunct each semester they are scheduled to teach. Departments must ensure all Notifications are signed and returned to the department prior to the start of the semester, and prior to initiating the hiring forms. The Departments retain the Notifications on file and should not forward to Human Resources.
- As required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, you are required to provide proof of your identity and employment eligibility in the United States by completing the I9 via DocuSign. This form must be completed within the first 3 days of hire. You will not be inputted into the payroll system until the form is received by the payroll department. Please note the following:
- Once you submit your I9 Docusign, your supervisor must meet with you to review the original documents you attached to the I9.
- Once the original documents are reviewed, your supervisor must complete the employer section of the DocuSign.
- New hires must also complete the W4 form via DocuSign within the first 3 days of hire.
- Both the I9 and W4 DocuSign forms are located under “HR Documents” at https://fdu.edu.
Direct links to the forms are: I9 DocuSign and W4 DocuSign
Initiate the Adjunct Personnel Information Notice (DocuSign) and follow the instructions. Human Resources will receive the completed Adjunct PIN and initiate the steps for a background check via Sterling E-Invite. It is important to ensure that the new adjunct’s personal email is included on the Adjunct PIN as this is required to initiate the required criminal background check.
Upon receipt of the approved Adjunct Personnel Information Notice, the Office of Human Resources will communicate with University Systems and Networking to ensure that a University NetID and email address is created. Once created, the department will receive confirmation from Human Resources with instructions on how the adjunct can claim their Net ID. Please note, if the adjunct is inputted into University systems, on or after their hire date, the department will receive information regarding how the adjunct will create their Net ID
Within 2 weeks of the effective start date after being entered into the Payroll system (please refer to Step 2 above) Adjuncts will receive a link to their personal email address with instructions on creating a MyADP account. Adjuncts will also receive an email on required onboarding. This will include the opportunity for each to enroll in Direct Deposit, as well as view the required policies and mandatory training programs.