Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Welcome to the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. The department faculty are dedicated professors, known for their scientific and professional achievements and scholarly work. The department strives to provide quality education in both the theoretical and applied foundations of computer science and mathematics. Our innovative pedagogical methodologies place a heavy emphasis on developing the ability to solve real-world problems and motivating students to become life-long learners, both of which are necessary skills in the dynamic global economy. As a result, graduates of our programs are well-prepared for success in challenging careers in government and industry, as well as for continued study in graduate school.
The Department offers majors and concentrations that allow students to focus closely on their interests, and students are encouraged to seek internships and engage in Cooperative Education experiences.
Fairleigh Dickinson University- Florham Cybersecurity students ranked in the top 10 nationally and Number 1 in New Jersey in the Cyber Talent FastTrack competition.
The Cyber FastTrack program was launched by 25 state governors and the SANS Institute on April 5, 2019, as part of a national initiative that aims at closing the cybersecurity skills gap in the country. The program provides students with the ability to discover their aptitude to succeed in the cybersecurity field. In this program students learn about intrusion detection, forensics, system and network penetration testing, application penetration testing, and security operations, through online challenges, quizzes, tutorials, and exams. More than 13,000 students in the US started in the program, and 2,400 of them made the quarterfinal round on May 20, 2019, playing for $2.5 million in scholarships as well as connections with employers for employment and internship opportunities.
FDU is designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency and U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Student and Faculty in the News
Congratulations to Colette Gillo and Jason Shupper for passing the Actuarial Exam P this summer.
Jason Shupper is pursuing a Math major with a concentration in Actuarial Science and Colette Gillo is a Finance major minoring in Mathematics.
Thank you to Dr. Marek Slaby, for his continued support and guidance to the Actuarial Science students.
The BS in Computer Science with a concentration in Cybersecurity, a program designated by the National Security Agency (NSA) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS), has been validated by the NSA for another 5 years. Read more about the program
- Grant Awarded: Fairleigh Dickinson University is one of just three institutions to be awarded a grant from the New Jersey Department of Education (DOE) to create computer science learning hubs throughout the state. It is part of the Computer Science for All initiative, announced recently by Governor Phil Murphy. For more information please visit: https://www.fdu.edu/news/new-jersey-grants-fdu-263339-for-computer-science/
Securing the Internet of Drones: In May 2020 before his graduation, Christopher Hamilton, a Computer Science major with Cybersecurity concentration successfully completed and presented his Honors Thesis project titled “Securing the Internet of Drones”. His research focused on exploring vulnerabilities and security weaknesses in current drone systems from an architectural approach as well as a protocol-based approach. Christopher is now working as a member of Technical Staff at Verizon.
Toute: Chariane Nkengfack successfully completed (December 2020) her Honors Thesis project titled Toute. Toute is an iOS application that utilizes barcode-scanning technology and database management techniques to provide users with information about possible toxic ingredients in products giving the consumer insights needed to make better informed shopping decisions. Chariane was selected as a Finalist for the 2021 NCWIT Collegiate Award and will be joining Microsoft in Seattle Washington spring 2021 as a Program Manager.
- 2020 Florham Pinnacle Award: Alisa Whitmore is the recipient of the 2020 Florham Pinnacle Award – https://www.fdu.edu/news/the-2020-florham-pinnacle/?fbclid=IwAR0rI55ugP8IcfDgvROZISc6KpHkGQmIA9HAx2c_7M9MwB_h3Ve7iC54enM
- Face shields for COVID-19 first responders: Bernie Moerdler, incoming Computer Science major, makes face shields for COVID-19 first responders – https://www.fdu.edu/news/incoming-fdu-student-makes-face-shields-for-covid-19-first-responders/
- Women in Mathematics 2020 Service Award: Dr. Denise Rangel Tracy receives The Association for Women in Mathematics’ 2020 Service Award. The award recognizes individuals for their efforts in promoting and supporting women in mathematics through exceptional voluntary service to the Association for Women in Mathematics.
- Coding her future: Sophomore Chariane Nkengfack interns at Microsoft HQ https://www.fdu.edu/news/coding-her-future/
- Women in Science https://www.fdu.edu/about/university-leadership-offices/university-provost/women-in-science/
- Our students participate in the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women Technologists https://www.fdu.edu/news/grace-hopper-celebration-inspires-fdu-math-and-computer-science-majors/
- The Game Development Concentration was ranked among the top 25 Game Design Schools and Colleges on the East Coast https://www.animationcareerreview.com/articles/top-25-game-design-schools-and-colleges-east-coast-2018-rankings
- The Game Development Concentration was ranked among the top 5 Game Design Schools and Colleges in New Jersey https://www.animationcareerreview.com/articles/top-5-game-design-schools-and-colleges-new-jersey-2018-rankings
- The cybersecurity program at FDU-Florham was ranked #3 in the nation and #1 in new Jersey by the SANS Institute in empowering students to seek cybersecurity education https://www.fdu.edu/news/governors-cybersecurity-competition/, https://www.sans.org/CyberStartUS
Department: Mathematics and Computer Science