Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Welcome to the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. The department faculty are dedicated professors, known for their scientific and professional achievements and scholarly work. The department strives to provide quality education in both the theoretical and applied foundations of computer science and mathematics. Our innovative pedagogical methodologies place a heavy emphasis on developing the ability to solve real-world problems and motivating students to become life-long learners, both of which are necessary skills in the dynamic global economy. As a result, graduates of our programs are well-prepared for success in challenging careers in government and industry, as well as for continued study in graduate school.
The Department offers majors and concentrations that allow students to focus closely on their interests, and students are encouraged to seek internships and engage in Cooperative Education experiences.
Fairleigh Dickinson University- Florham Cybersecurity students ranked in the top 10 nationally and Number 1 in New Jersey in the Cyber Talent FastTrack competition.
The Cyber FastTrack program was launched by 25 state governors and the SANS Institute on April 5, 2019, as part of a national initiative that aims at closing the cybersecurity skills gap in the country. The program provides students with the ability to discover their aptitude to succeed in the cybersecurity field. In this program students learn about intrusion detection, forensics, system and network penetration testing, application penetration testing, and security operations, through online challenges, quizzes, tutorials, and exams. More than 13,000 students in the US started in the program, and 2,400 of them made the quarterfinal round on May 20, 2019, playing for $2.5 million in scholarships as well as connections with employers for employment and internship opportunities.
FDU is designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency and U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Student and Faculty in the News
- 2020 Florham Pinnacle Award: Alisa Whitmore is the recipient of the 2020 Florham Pinnacle Award – https://www.fdu.edu/news/the-2020-florham-pinnacle/?fbclid=IwAR0rI55ugP8IcfDgvROZISc6KpHkGQmIA9HAx2c_7M9MwB_h3Ve7iC54enM
- Face shields for COVID-19 first responders: Bernie Moerdler, incoming Computer Science major, makes face shields for COVID-19 first responders – https://www.fdu.edu/news/incoming-fdu-student-makes-face-shields-for-covid-19-first-responders/
- Women in Mathematics 2020 Service Award: Dr. Denise Rangel Tracy receives The Association for Women in Mathematics’ 2020 Service Award. The award recognizes individuals for their efforts in promoting and supporting women in mathematics through exceptional voluntary service to the Association for Women in Mathematics.
- Coding her future: Sophomore Chariane Nkengfack interns at Microsoft HQ https://www.fdu.edu/news/coding-her-future/
- Women in Science https://www.fdu.edu/about/university-leadership-offices/university-provost/women-in-science/
- Our students participate in the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women Technologists https://www.fdu.edu/news/grace-hopper-celebration-inspires-fdu-math-and-computer-science-majors/
- The Game Development Concentration was ranked among the top 25 Game Design Schools and Colleges on the East Coast https://www.animationcareerreview.com/articles/top-25-game-design-schools-and-colleges-east-coast-2018-rankings
- The Game Development Concentration was ranked among the top 5 Game Design Schools and Colleges in New Jersey https://www.animationcareerreview.com/articles/top-5-game-design-schools-and-colleges-new-jersey-2018-rankings
- The cybersecurity program at FDU-Florham was ranked #3 in the nation and #1 in new Jersey by the SANS Institute in empowering students to seek cybersecurity education https://www.fdu.edu/news/governors-cybersecurity-competition/, https://www.sans.org/CyberStartUS
Department: Mathematics and Computer Science